Phillips Hue Dimmer Switch Integration?

I have 2 of them because ST's was so unreliable, so why not use them. They were connected to my Hue Bridge, but I'd love to use them to switch mode and stuff as well.

I installed this device driver and the dimmer was discovered:

Hopefully it stays connected.

2 Likes

With that installed, can you use the Button Controllers app or ABC by @stephack to configure it?

I use the one that I have with Hue lights in my bedroom (my wife likes it, sort of ) and that’s the only reason it hasn’t already been replaced with a Pico. I do like the abilities I get with iConnect Hue app to configure the bridge to allow up to 5 presses per button, plus a hold for each.

The Device doesn't show up for me in this app. I haven't tried ABC

An excellent app. Even if it doesn’t work for the Hue remotes, it makes configuring other supported buttons so much faster than The built-in app.

updated the Device Driver with Capability "Pushable Button" and now both apps find it.

1 Like

You’re going to need to change the createEvent call too to comply with the Hubitat implementation of Button devices.

Look here for known differences in the platforms

2 Likes

Ugh... Sorry I am not really a developer and probably blind. I don't see what needs to be changed. It's probably right in my face, but sometimes I can't find my wallet which is right in front of me. :slight_smile:

I assume you mean this:

def result = createEvent(name: "button", value: "pushed", data: [buttonNumber: button], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true)

I found it. :slight_smile:
def result = createEvent(name: "pushed", value: button, descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true)

I am not sure why it works though. I am such a hack.

2 Likes

You got it. Nice work!

1 Like

Is this working well? Did the hue dimmer stay connected to the hub?

I had 1 drop, but I am unsure if it was related to the hardware or just growing pains with the hub.

A built in driver for this will be included in the next build.
Pushed supported on buttons 1 and 4 (on off)
Pushed, Held and Released on buttons 2 and 3, the level buttons.
Oh yeah, and battery level too...

The different capabilities between the on/off and the level buttons is a hardware limitation.

2 Likes

Any idea of this could work with the hue tap as well?

this driver will not work with the tap, no idea if the tap will pair with HE or not.

I am in the market for a remote (battery powered) wall switch, and the hue dimmer looks like a good option. I do not have a hue system. Does the built-in support talk directly with the hue dimmer, or only through the hue hub? Thanks!
Also, I am open to alternatives, provided I dont need yet another hub to integrate it..

I know you said you don’t want another hub....but.... Lutron Pico Remotes are really amazingly flexible, have awesome battery life, great mounting options, and excellent integration with Hubitat via the Caseta SmartBridge Pro2. The picos are so inexpensive, that it offsets the the cost of the SmartBridge Pro2.

That is the one thing I liked abount Wink Hub — built-in lutron casetta support - no extra hub.

Since I only have a need for a single remote, it is not really a cost effective solution. Though it is an option if I cannot find something. I was hoping the cooper aspire was still available, but with the company gone, not worth the cost..

It paired directly to the HE hub.

I can't recommend the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro and Pico remotes enough. But, it sounds like you may already own a Wink hub. I'm not saying this is an ideal solution, but you could control it from HE. Depends on how adventurous you are, and keep in mind that it will not be a cloudless solution like the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro is, but it should be pretty fast for automation, and the Pico would be directly connected to the Wink hub, so that would be fast too. The only downside (other than cloud connectivity) would be that Hubitat wouldn't necessarily know the Wink device state when controlling it from the Pico.

So here's what might work for you. The Wink can use Pico remotes, but only when you buy them with a Lutron Dimmer. So you can buy a Lutron dimmer and Pico combination, connect that to the Wink and then control the Lutron dimmer from Hubitat via IFTTT or for better speed, you control the Wink hub from Hubitat via Google Assistant Relay, using the [CC] prefix to send silent commands to the Wink hub.

Now if you look at the price of a Lutron dimmer and Pico kit and consider that this is cloud based solution that is not fully integrated with Hubitat, you begin to see that the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro isn't such a bad deal and allows so much more control. Essentially 10 button control from a 5 button Pico, because you have push and hold that can be programmed separately, Additional Pico remotes are only $15, sometimes less.

I have a Hue dimmer. If you don't have a bridge, I'm not sure you can do more than the four buttons, single push - [Edit] Just say @mike.maxwell noted that Push, Held, Released is supported on buttons 1 and 4 of the Hue Dimmer. I have mine on the Hue bridge and can program multiple (up to 5) pushes, plus a hold on all four buttons using the iConned Hue app. Having said that, my favorite button after the Pico is a Xiaomi Aqara. The community driver allows it to work with Hubitat Button Controller and it gives you 5 pushes to program and one hold. They cost around $5-8.

I have one of the Hank/Aeotec One Button controllers:

It uses the Aeon Nanomote driver which has push, held and released.