Philips Hue Outdoor Multi sensor and Hubitat

Thank you. It works really well, they claim it to be very weatherproof, expensive but worth the quality

I'm curious of other people's battery experience. I've had my outdoor sensor mounted for around two years, and the battery level STILL says 100%. Quite sure my fuel gage is stuck, and I'm about to end up on the side of the road.
Does the battery indication work properly for anybody, or is it just mine? Or maybe I have some sort of nuclear everlasting battery?

Reported battery levels are generally and notoriously unreliable in that they will show 100% (or close to that) for a long time and then rapidly drop down to non-functional.

2 Likes

Thanks. I figure that's exactly what I expected to hear.

thats a feature of lithium batteries and has nothing to do with the sensor.. they hold voltage levels to the very end and then drop very quickly.

The Hue motion sensors use standard AAA (indoor sensor) and AA (outdoor sensor) batteries, which are most commonly alkaline. The discharge curve on these tends to be a bit more linear. I still wouldn't trust it, but it's probably better than others. :smiley: (There are some lithium batteries available in this size and voltage--Energizer and possibly others make some--but I'd trust reported battery levels even less then since if the reporting is calibrated at all, it probably had alkakines in mind ... but that's another story.)

Monitoring for lack of device activity with one of various options for that is probably the best option if the device going dead for this reason is a concern.

1 Like