Philips Hue Motion Sensors

Hi There, My understanding is that you connect these directly to Hubitat using Zigbee. My question is, is there any issues with having them connected both to the Philips Hue Hub and also to Hubitat? e.g. the only connect to 1 or the other, or there is increase in battery drain when connected to 2?

Thanks,

Simon

You can only connect Zigbee devices to one hub. You could however connect them to the Hue hub, and then integrate the hue hub to Hubitat. There is a built in integration and a community built one with extra features.

1 Like

I was in the same boat two days ago, moving from a hue run system to the C7.

I used the built in hue integration, but found the sensor didn't come across, so paired it with the hubitat directly. I then re-wrote my motion rule with the built in motion app.
Wife hasn't noticed any difference yet yet, so must have done alright.

5 Likes

They work reliably on Hubitat. Battery drain will depend on temperature, motion, and lux triggers (things that make it wake up and send a message to the hub), as well as how strong your Zigbee mesh is.
Importing them from Hue is only possible using one of the community Hue apps. The community apps also support push events from the Hue bridge, so immediate updates for Hue devices are possible by going that route.

2 Likes

Same, here - but I removed the built in integration and moved to the community one, it has all the sensors showing and working well and I have retained the Hue Hub. Happy days.

2 Likes

I'll have to look into that one. Was it smooth to go between apps? did you just have to re-pair the sensors to the hue hub?

Seamless, ir worked the same way as the build in app, pair the hub and choose your items to bring into Hubitat. Didn't effect any of the integration between devices and Hue Hub.

EDIT, I just removed the devices created from the build in app, then the app itself, then added the community one.

2 Likes

I your experiences, which is the better solution?
Having the hue motion sensors paired directly with Hubitat and use the built in hue app or pair with hue and use community app? I've got all of mine paired to smartthings at the moment, so will need to repair to one or the other. However I can't currently get program manager to log in to my hub for the first time (I'm a new user) so maybe that would answer my question.

This sounds like a more general question than one about just motion sensors, it may be worth creating your own topic to discuss how / where is best to migrate your Hue devices from SmartThings.

If you have some older bulbs, and you have a Hue bridge, I expect it would be best to pair your bulbs and accessories to the Hue bridge and use either Coco-Hue or the Advanced Hue Bridge Integration apps to receive events from the Hue bridge, for both bulbs and accessories. This is the option I have chosen.

I have 11 Hue motion sensors in service, all paired direct to Hubitat.
They've been working great.
I don't have any other Hue devices.
I don't have a Hue hub.

1 Like

Good point @velvetfoot , I should add, while I have transitioned to pairing my Hue stuff back on the Hube bridge, I have run an equally solid setup with my bulbs and accessories paired to my previous C-7 lighting HE hub.

I have my Hue motion sensors paired to HE, but keep all Hue lights on the Hue bridge and use the CoCoHue community app. Hue lights work best on the bridge and have features that are only available when paired to the bridge. The bridge appears to store scenes and power restore preferences directly on the Hue lights. That is the main reason why I went exclusively Hue lighting in all of our bedrooms. Power flickers and outages in the night don’t result in lights turning on even for a second.

2 Likes

Great idea. Thanks!

What is the difference between these? And would I have to get HPM working first?

There's not a lot of differences from what I observed, there are just some subtle differences in what events are catered for in one or two devices (I think) and some extra options for dealing with rooms / zones and scenes. It may be worth trialing each of them to see what works best for you.

Technically you don't need to get HPM setup to use any driver or app, but it does make it much easier to install and manage them, particularly when there are multiple files involved like there are in these two cases.

Do I need to remove all my devices first? Or remove the built in app? I already broke a dashboard by doing something in the wrong order :man_facepalming:

You shouldn't need to remove your existing devices or apps, though you may want to keep the list of devices you bring in via these two apps low, just keep it manageable and less confusing while you are testing them on your hub. You may also want to consider adjusting some of the device names that get generated, just to make it clearer what is what.

1 Like