Philips Hue motion sensor not compatible any longer?

Hi Guys,

The latest two Hue motion sensors I have bought have not worked well with Hubitat 7. In fact, at first I thought it was something wrong with the sensor and bined it and bought anotherone. But that did not work either and displayed the same behaviour. I.e. it connected and posted four inital values and then went scilent. So I thought the chances of two not working are slim so I connected them using the Hue hub and the CoCo Hue app, and voila, they worked fine (Yes I managed to retrieve the first one before the bin man arrived).

Should they not be compatible? They are in the list of compatible sensors. What am I missing?

Now that you have them attached to the Hue bridge, have you attempted to update the firmware on the Hue motion sensors? Maybe afterwards they would pair better with Hubitat? Also, the Hue bridge only supports a small subset of Zigbee channels (like 15, 20, and 25 - IIRC). What Zigbee channel is your Hue bridge on? What Zigbee channel is your Hubitat C-7 on? Also, have you made sure that your home 2.4GHz WiFi is not conflicting with your Zigbee mesh networks? Make sure your 2.4GHz WiFi only uses channels 1, 6, or 11 with a 20MHz channel width. This will free up 2.4GHz frequency space for Zigbee channels 15, 20, and 25.

Tagging @mike.maxwell from Hubitat, as I think I recall some other threads regarding newer revisions of the Hue motion sensors. Not sure what ever came of those discussions, however... :thinking:

3 Likes

Ah, thank you @ogiewon ! The short answer to all your questions i basically, no. I'll have a look at this and see if there might be some interferences.

Cheers,

EDIT:

• Wi-Fi is using channel 1, channel width 20Mhz
  • HE C-7 is using Channel 20
  • Hue hub is using Channel 25

There is only one number available at each device, I cannot set ranges. But that should work with minimal interference, right? (These are the values that was already set, except that the channel width was 20-40Mhz, which I now changed.)

In addition to that, I have a dual band Wi-Fi router on which means I use the 5Mhz band for some (heavy use) devices. The Hue hub, HE C-7 and the W-Fi Router all have wired connections.

Should be good?

1 Like

Yep, sounds like you have things set up correctly.

1 Like

I have several Hue motion detectors. Some are Gen1; some are Gen2. I originally used them the C-7 hub, but have since migrated to C-8. They still work flawlessly.

However, I have the Hue sensors paired directly with the Hubitat hub. You can pair them with a Hue bridge, but they work better paired directly with Hubitat. They can still be used to control Hue bulbs or other non-Hue devices.

2 Likes

Hi,
Yes, I have several too, also mix of gen 1 and gen 2. All gen 1 are connected directly to HE C-7 and only the gen 2 have been trick to get to work for me. They work now when I connect them through the Hue hub, but not connected directly. For the moment I am ok with them to function through the Hue hub but I want to test more and see why they won't work directly. I had a theory that they lost connection due to the floor plan of the house, but at the same time I ahve one even further away, outside the house in the same general direction, so not sure about that theroy. We'll see later on hopefully.

If you are using the CoCoHue app with “push” enabled, you can keep them connected to your Hue bridge and import them to Hubitat. You will be able to use them just as you would if paired directly. I had them setup this way before I migrated to the C-8 because some of mine wouldn’t stay connected.

1 Like