Phantom physical switch overriding scene brightness--Lutron dimmer issue?

I noticed that my scenes, when activated, turn on the correct lights on but sometimes at the wrong level (returning to a previous level). It's not that the levels aren't set correctly--they are, but then a fraction of a second later there is an event showing a change due to a physical dimmer. (I do not touch any actual dimmer.)

Here is an example. I activate a scene which includes toe lights at 50%. They turn on and change to 50%, but then immediately show a change back to 1%:

Any idea what is happening here? I should point out these are Lutron Radio RA2 Select devices.

1 Like

I can see the specific scenario that reproduces this:

-Turn on a scene.
-With the scene on, adjust the brightness of a light (via dashboard or Lutron app).
-Turn off the scene.
-Turn the scene back on. The correct brightness is overridden.

EDIT:

More specifics of the behavior:

-The scene works correctly if activated while the lights are already on (at a different brightness; the scene adjusts the brightness correctly).

-A repercussion of the above is that sending two scene activation commands sets brightness correctly, although it means the lights are turning on at the correct brightness, then turned to the wrong brightness by the phantom physical event, and then turned again to the correct brightness.

-The scene does not produce the correct brightness if the lights are set to a different brightness and then turned off, followed by scene activation. This is true whether they are dimmed while the scene is active or inactive.

1 Like

I'm so glad you posted this! I've been having a very similar thing happening for a long time and I haven't been able to determine the source for the bogus "physical" event. I haven't posted anything here because I do all my automation processing in node-red so I've been reluctant to point a finger. However, I do see an errant event in the HE log for the Aeotec Nano Dimmer so it doesn't seem that node-red is somehow causing it.

I'm wondering if my issue reflects Lutron dimmers restoring previous levels when turning on. Can anyone with (or without) Lutron dimmers confirm the behavior I'm seeing?

I've tried setting activation optimization and metering in the scene settings, but neither makes any difference.

For now, I've resorted to this kludgy rule to re-send the scene activation. I guess I need to do this for every scene (I don't see a way to use a variable for the scene name to make the rule more universal).

One more thing:

I thought the answer was going to be the "Use Last Level for on" setting for the dimmer devices, but disabling that setting did not change the behavior--turning on a scene still goes to the last level, not the level specified in the scene. And again, the events log shows an initial activation at the correct level, then a physical event changing to the previous level.

1 Like

I don't specifically see it in the release notes, but this issue appears to have been fixed in 2.3.1. Thanks!

1 Like