Pet Feed Reminder (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)

Could I have made this any more complicated?... :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW! My answer is going to be no.

Care to give a brief run down?

The answer is always "probably."

Hah.. Basically it

• randomly chooses a nickname for my dog.
  • sends a notification to both my phones and echo devices at meal times and repeats until the meal has been fed.
  • sends reminders that the dog was already fed if the food bin opens up to an hour after a meal.
  • tracks "snacks" basically times the bin opens between meals.
  • updates a virtual presence sensor & string variable to display status on the Dashboard.
1 Like

:flushed:

Not going to work here. The kids will just ignore the alerts. I usually have to tell them 3 to 4 time to feed the dogs in the morning. But that is some great thinking in your code.

1 Like

I have MUCH more simplified version of this. I can confirm the kids just ignore it. It's really become more of a reminder for us to get after them.

2 Likes

That's an impressive amount of RM. Why not just take this to the next step and use an automatic feeder?

1 Like

"KIDS! Go feed the dog so Alexa shuts up!"

1 Like

Damn near word for word. I actually also have pushover on their phones and sending notifications through emergency channel so it even overrides volume. Long story short...... don't get me started on it.

1 Like

I think you need to eliminate your single point of failure. And by "eliminate" I am not suggesting doing in your kids, just removing them from the critical path :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I've been considering removing the pushover aspect since they literally just block it out and my wife and I hear from the other side of house.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.