Persistent Hub Failures - Strange Issue

I have a full UniFi network and have zero issues with my C8 hub. Nor did I ever have any issues with my old C5 hub.

My topology going to my C8 hub is:

UniFi UDM Pro --> USW 16 POE --> USW Lite 16 POE --> C8 Hub

The port the C8 hub is connected to in the USW Lite 16 POE is not a POE port.

I have a "Fixed IP Address" set in UniFi for the C8 hub.

Also just to clarify / reiterate. My configuration had been static for about two years with not even a device added (and same network switches). Only Hub OS updates .My original C-7 worked flawlessly and the C-8 was seamlessly migrated over last March. Not until six months past the introduction of the C-8 did this issue arise out of nowhere.

Maybe I didn't see it, but did this issue start with the latest release? A couple months ago would be about when the 2.3.6.x updates came about. I wonder what would happen if you rolled back to 2.3.5 series?

I would probably consider what BobbyD suggested above, I would jump forward to the 2.3.7 which has many improvements. At this point it isn't much of a Beta, it is nearly release quality in my opinion. Things are pretty stable for most from what I can see. You could always roll back if you had to.

I would say yes, about a couple of months ago. As I said the only thing that has changed in the last couple years with my setup is the occasional hub updates.

@bobbyD - OK, please send me the beta bits and I will install.

1 Like

Your hub is now enrolled. Please go to Settings >> Check for updates to install the latest beta version.

1 Like

Hub successfully updated.

2 posts were split to a new topic: [2.3.7.136] Had to revert update [C8]

Hub crashed again this evening after reverting back. Going to try and update to the beta again in the morning.

Are you using a poe splitter on HE or do you have it plugged into the OEM power supply?

I re-installed the beta OS (Z-wave was normal this time after the upgrade) but the hub crashed EXACTY 60 minutes later like a clock. Back to this one hour crashing cycle again... Going to try the "soft reset trick" again & see if that resets the cycle to a week between crashes as it has in the past.

On second thought I am going to try and downgrade to 2.3.6.135 without doing the soft reset dance. Any way to go further back? I swear yesterday it offered me additional rollback versions. I looked up the release date of 2.3.6.135 (September) and about a month or so after that date I started to have problems.

Directly into the power supply that came with it.

Not counting any chickens yet but its been 24 hours since I rolled back to 2.3.6.135 (September 2023 release / few weeks before my crashes started) and everything has been stable and my logs are looking clean. Would need to be stable for > 1 week for this to emerge as a "fix".

You could go back to the final 2.3.5 version with this endpoint

HUB.IP/hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/235

After it downloads you install with the diagnostic tool, it will be in the previous versions list.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! Will try that if 2.3.6 fails but so far so good.

Hub crashed after a couple of days on 2.3.6.135. Reverting back now to 2.3.5.152 to see if makes a difference.

@domenic Why not go to the latest 2.3.7? There was a lot of work with memory and reliability, we went through MANY Beta versions to try and improve things. Release 2.3.7 Available

You can always roll back to 2.3.5 if 2.3.7 doesn't work better.

Since before all of this trouble started the only changes made in ~2 years was the hub firmware other than an occasional Package Manager Update. I know for a fact 2.3.5 was resident before the crashing started so I want to take one more crack at going back in the time machine and try to see if I can at least get things stable as they were. In not no reason not to go to 2.3.7 or the current build.

That didn't take long... Hub crashed over night on 2.3.5. Installing latest beta now.

2.3.7 is no longer in beta, it is now public and available to everyone:

2 Likes

After updating to the latest official release the hub was stable for a few days but today started crashing again.

I have implemented an ugly (however functional) work-around. I setup a ping trigger in Home Assistant along with a Kasa Wi-Fi plug . Whenever the C-8 hub crashes / falls off of the network HA cycles the power.

By design the Hubitat Hub is a "black box" to us customers where we only have access to logging of events related to our our connected devices and no visibility behind the scenes or into the underlying Linux operating system. This is a good thing as it keeps the userbase focused on the Hubitat "app" itself and everything underpinning it is just the magic glue that boots everything up - brilliant!

The downside however of this model is that in a case like this where the device itself is somehow halting or spontaneously shutting the operating system down for whatever reason there is absolutely no way a customer can gleam any information as to the root cause.

Is there no way the Hubitat staff can gain access to the underlying OS logs and see what is going on underneath? No debug mode the hub could be placed in that can bundle for download or directly send info to Hubitat support for detailed analysis?

I, like probably most of us in this community, have hundreds of hours into building our automated systems within this platform. When something goes irreparably south like this the only answer seems to be "erase everything and start over from scratch including pairing of all of your devices". Not implying that anyone from Hubitat is saying to do that in this case but without a way to debug things to at least understand what is triggering the failures there is simply no other answer.

So for now there is unfortunately nothing more I can do to correct this issue on my own other than the watchdog / reboot workaround I have implemented.