Per User Dashboards are Really Just Custom Dashboard Links?

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, "Per User Dashboards" is a total misnomer and "Custom Dashboard Links" is what they really are because:

Since there's no user (or group) authentication required to access "Paul's" dashboard the User Paul is nothing more than a label for the group that custom dashboard link belongs to.

Is this correct?

That's probably a little unfair to refer to the general dashboard documentation as being "per user". It may be worth explaining a little more about what your expectations were based on the documentation that don't seem to be met by what you are seeing in the HE app / platform. From the documentation you linked:

You can restrict access for a particular Dashboard to specific users. A convenient QR code may be captured by mobile devices to grant access for the assigned Local and Cloud Dashboards on a per-user basis.

The following instructions work through how to restrict access to existing dashboards to users configured in the HE hub. From the way I read the instructions it is detailing how to provide nominated users access to selected dashboards, not that those users will default to seeing a specific dashboard when opening the app, which is the impression I get from your post... I could be wrong, hence my question above about what you are expecting.

Don't get me wrong, if you are asking that a user (or group) would default to a nominated dashboard when selecting dashboards in the app, if that's not already a thing, then that would be cool. That said, I expect a link on the phone or tablet home screen would likely be quicker and easier to access than needing to open the app, which is in effect simply rendering a Chrome / browser representation of the dashboard anyway...

Why is it a misnomer?

You’re correct that there is no login or authentication process to access a dashboard webpage.

But unless you give the dashboard link (or the QR code the hub generates) to someone else, it’s effectively Paul’s dashboard.

I see this as a way for the admin user to keep multiple dashboards for multiple household members organized.

So yes, they could’ve called it “custom dashboard links,” but they didn’t. That doesn’t mean “per user dashboard” is not also an appropriately descriptive term.

1 Like

I am heading in this direction as well.... the naming may also not be what some may expect or be intuitive to some new users and may cause confusion.

While I may have, at least personally, pushed for altering @Busthead 's and other expectations in this space... I can now appreciate that maybe an alteration to the phrasing in the documentation may help the understanding that some users have for how this part of the platform works.

That's a long way of saying I kind of agree with @Busthead , within certain parameters... Happy to be convinced otherwise...

Perhaps a note of clarification in the documentation could help some users understand that when a per-user dashboard link is shared with someone, that person could still share the link with others.

Looking at the notes in the documentation, the "Per-User-Dashboard" feature is more targeted at controlling access rather than a tailored experience for the nominated user. I would also advocate for updating the notes in the documentation, but how this is described may differ....

BTW.... For anyone who reads my other posts or know me personally, posts like this sound overly formal.... If I had time I would inject more informal "language", like I do in many my other posts....

Yo yo yo, your words are so tight Like fr fr, makin' my head hurt. Like loosen up dawg, relax a little. You talkin like sir law-a-lot of the square table. Took me back to skool in a bad way. fr fr

<Reading the above thread I was thinking, "Damn, these guys are talking like a couple of lawyers.">

1 Like

It can't be solely Paul's Dashboard if every user with the Hubitat mobile app has access to it.

If I were to speculate, real per user dashboards haven't been implemented because Hubitat accounts reside solely on the cloud and not on the hub. e.g. I can't login locally to my hub using the credential I use to access https://my.hubitat.com. It's likely a large (and priority conflicting) undertaking for the dev team.

1 Like

I guess that's where assigning a pin# could help. Not ideal but it would limit who could use said dashboard.

Having the pin# and accounts unified for access control locally would be satisfying.

1 Like