Pentair ScreenLogic

@brad2

The latest code update to the pool controller body driver broke compatibility with InfluxDB logger for pool temp. The change from "temperature" to "waterTemp" is what did it:

I added the original line back on my end to fix it temporarily but is there a different way I should be looking for the pool temp?

Agreed this was a mistake. I just pushed an update which adds the TemperatureMeasurement capability back into the Body. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running nodejs-poolController, and also running the hubitat_poolcontroller. What comes into my Hubitat is an action for my pool and spa light, (3) actions named "Pool", (3) named "Spa", "Jets", "Gas Heater", "Spillway", etc. I'm trying to integrate into my Sharptools dashboard, but the actions aren't what I expected, and I imagine i'm doing something wrong. The "Pool" and "Spa" actions seem to set the pool/spa to the default settings that are in the poolController dashboard. The "Gas Heater" doesn't seem to do anything. I was hoping that I could control the temperature of the pool/spa, but I'm not seeing how to get that over to my Sharptools dashboard.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

I am not quite following what you are seeing with these actions. Maybe there is some problem with the App reading your configuration. I am using this with Sharptools and have the ability to control pretty much all the aspects of the Pool from Sharptools as well as within Hubitat. Do you see a list like this under your Devices?

Sorry, I guess I should have added my screenshot. It is much like yours.

When I bring the devices into Sharptools, I'm not seeing how to control the pool/spa temp. The "Spa" switch sets turns the spa on to the set temp from the dashboard.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Devices|430x499

This is related to the use of customer Commands in Hubitat to support the Body SetPoints. The only way to access these in SharpTools is to create a rule that activates the command and then place a tile for this Command in the Dashboard.

So here is a rule for Moving the SetPoint Up on my Pool:

I have a similar one for SetPointDown. You then go to Add-->Rules on the Dashboard and place these as tiles. Here is what it looks like with the Setpoint displayed as a tile with tiles for Up and Down next to it:

Note you can also follow the same pattern to change the heater mode:

with this Rule:

1 Like

Have you thought about adding a Thermostat capability to the device? You would have the option of using the more traditional looking Thermostat tile in that case.

For example you could add the Thermostat Heating Setpoint capability and map the setHeatingSetpoint() command to your existing setHeaterSetpoint() command for backwards compatibility.

That seems a pretty good idea and right off I can't see any downside. I actually missed that this separate individual thermostat capability existed. Thanks for the tip!

When we use a tile with ThermodstatHeatingSetpoint capability:

it includes an "Adjust" option which opens a dialog like this:

What command does the Auto button map to? In this use case this is not quite correct - we have a different enumerated list of potential modes for a Pool Heater. The Off / On buttons do work OK as they map to the Switch capability which we have setup to control a given Body.

Same question for the "Heat" button - I can't see what command that is calling.

The Thermostat tile generally assumes that you either have:

• Full Thermostat capability

Or at least:

• Thermostat Mode
  • And one or both of:
    • Thermostat Heating Setpoint
    • Thermostat Cooling Setpoint
  • Optionally:
    • Thermostat Fan Mode
    • Thermostat Operating State

The buttons for 'Heat', 'Auto', and 'Off' come from the Thermostat Mode capability.

We don't have it implemented at the moment, but I would be happy to add some logic for the supportedThermostatModes attribute which would allow you to dynamically choose which mode buttons to display... and could map to your supportedHeaterModes attribute and setThermostatMode() to the setHeaterMode() method that you already have.

I think this is a good direction to go from the perspective of a pool controller using this capability. I'm not certain how many other use cases there are of non-standard thermostat use, but this abstraction along with using a home thermostat set of options as the default seems like it would work well. I'll go ahead and deploy the enhancements and then when you get to that feature on your side the tiles will work even better!

1 Like

Brad,

Thank you for your patience and explanation. I get it now. I really appreciate the help!

-Jeff

We've released support for supportedThermostatModes to beta. :slight_smile:

Hi, my Hayward just gave up and I am planning to replace with a Pentair MasterTemp 125. I was wondering if I could get some direction on the parts needed to support this automation?

For the Hayward I already have remote temperature management in place, and I also have remote switching for pump and heater AC - on/off. I don't know if I can reuse these or would do everything through the pentair controller. Either way is fine.

According to the manual it shows RS485 hookup to the Intellicenter Control System. Reading through this thread it seems like I need the ScreenLogic2?

And then I need a PI (which I have) and to install node.js?

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks.

You may want to swing by nodejs-poolController/Lobby - Gitter to get some details and ask questions. You need a working NodeJS-PoolController first. Also, Nixie and REM might be of interest - this is a standalone implementation that eliminates the need for an outdoor control panel in many cases.

But yes, you need a Pi with an RS-485 connection and Install Node.js there to get rolling.

Highly recommend the nodejs-poolController and the dashPanel client!

1 Like

Hey all! new to this and probably way over my head...That said i am determined! Trying to figure out what to do and where to go, it looks like I need PI with an RS-485 connection. First question is...if I have my screen logic interface (white brick) in the same cabinet as my computer - why cant i just connect it straight to my computer? Second, if I need to get Pi - which one should I buy and is there a beginners guide to getting that thing working?

I run mine with a Pi Zero W. It doesn't take much horsepower and these are small and cheap. You have to run with the RS485 because the protocol from the Screen logic interface is encrypted and proprietary...gotta love Pentair.

The setup and install is not overly complex but it is technical. It requires installing the application on the Pi which is running Linux. Let's start there if you want to dive in more let us know!