Pausing an automation

Hi all,

I have "motion and mode lightning app" with a few lightning automation.
I want to set a button press that when pressing it will stop the lightning automation and when double pressing it it will turn the automation back on.
Do you have any specific idea how to write this in rule machine?

Thanks,

I do almost exactly this, with a couple of tweaks....

I have a Virtual Switch that I use to control whether motion/sensor-based lighting is active or not.

I chose to use a Button Controller instance instead of Rule Machine as I am using a Samsung button to toggle my motion lighting, but the same can be just as easily setup in RM. The parts highlighted are the important parts for your question, I have a "rule" triggered by a button being pressed that, in my case, toggles my motion lighting virtual switch. I would suggest creating two separate rules for the single- and double-press events, which is very easy in Button Controller.

You can ignore the other actions if you want, I just wanted a visual confirmation of a red and green light to say motion lighting had been turned on or off.

In my Room (motion ) Lighting setup I refer to the switch in these places, controlling the enabling and disabling of lights being turned on and turned off:

Hope that makes sense....

On a side note, I like the use of the virtual switch for this purpose in the RL setup as it opens up other possibilities, which I use, when I manually control / set the lights with a physical switch like a Hue Tap Dial, I also turn the motion lighting off, then when I manually turn the lights off, motion lighting is re-enabled.

1 Like

I haven't used that app in years but these options within the app should do what you need:

I was assuming @yanivsh23 was using the motion and mode lighting option in Room Lighting....

@yanivsh23 - if you are using the older motion lighting app you can continue to use it, but I would suggest migrating your rule to Room Lighting.