Pairing devices that hub cannot reach

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to pair a thermostat and smart lock not very close to the hub? I’m switching from Iris which had s battery in the hub making it able to be moved close to the device.

Locks secure pairing are designed to be required to be closer to the hub than most devices, so that's pretty much by design.

Not very close, is pretty nondescript, if you have repeaters in the mesh between the hub and the thermostat it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have not experienced any similar behavior for Thermostats, having experience only with Ecobee and Centralite Pearl. However, I would suggest putting the hub in exclusion mode, follow the manufacturer's instructions for excluding the Thermostat, power cycling the device and trying inclusion again.

I'm not that familiar with thermostats so I don't know why it would need to be close to the hub. For the locks, it is a security design "feature" to avoid eavesdropping on the join data. I just shut my hub down, unplugged it, moved it as close as I could to the lock, booted it back up, and paired the lock. Once paired and confirmed the lock was working, I shut it down and moved it back to its home. I plugged the hub into the nearest LAN port I had and used a long cord. It was about 8 to 10 feet from the lock. Obviously, Your Mileage May Vary.

When I paired my garage door opener (uses the same secure pairing) I was two hops from the hub and it paired just fine.

Thank you both. I may take lock off, pair it within 12” and put it back in the door. It sounds like I can power down, bring it close, power up, pair and move hub to original location the plug in LAN