Overwhelmed trying to figure things out and not making progress (Virtual Thermostat)

I have now had several days of reading, testing and trying to figure out how this hub works, and for the life of me I can't really find out how to do what I am trying to achieve. I find the lack of a visual element (UI) frustrating and not understanding how things link together is really denting my enthusiasm.

I am happy about how easy it is to pair devices to the hub and I am sure that I can figure out how to do basic tasks, but the main thing I use automation for is for heating and I can't figure this out. Anyone willing to help by listing out the process in a "for dummy's" way ?

I have previously posted how my setup looks Thermostat Scheduler [RELEASED]

Basically I have some temp sensors which control wall plugs via a virtual thermostat. Doesn´t sound complicated, and it certainly isn't on the Vera, but on the Hubitat I am struggling.

I have searched around and found users doing similar things to what I want to achieve, but I can't find a good guide as most just assume you already have some intermediate knowledge of the Hub and how it works (which I am lacking).

My questions are:

1. How do I feed a Virtual Thermostat from a temp - I have seen some use average all, tried that and not sure if it works as I don´t see my temp on the VT device page, but also, the VT seems to be in F and not C.
  2. If I manage to get the temp into the VT, how would I set it the setpoints? I have tried to do it, but it just empties itself upon saving the preferences.
  3. If I manage to save the preferences, how do I make the VT turn on the wall switch to heat ? Would I need to create several Rules to accomplish this ?
  4. Say I manage to solve steps 1-3 above, how would I now setup the VT for home and away mode ?

I think I will leave it at this for now. I could probably go on forever...

1 Like

See the PM I sent you...