Outside Temperature

Turning to this awesome community for help.

I am looking for the easiest way to get outside temperature. I have a Ambient Weather device reporting to WU. But of course that is dead thanks to their API changes. I do not have any other outside sensors.

I do have ST Other Hub app, webCore, IFTTT options available to me. For now the ambient weather device does report to ST, but I can not seem to get it to report the weather attribute to report via Other Hub.

Is there some easy way to set something from ST -> WC -> or IFTTT -> or Other Hub -> HE? Or something else?

FWIW, I am not interested in working with a RPi (long history of bad experience with them).

Oh, one important add on. Something HE wants me to test is to do this without the APIXU driver/device. And as far as I know I can not install the WU driver as I do not have an API key.

You don't have an API key? Then how is your outside weather device reporting to WU? If you're reporting to them, you have to have an API key, don't you? The following is from the notification you should have received from Weather Underground.

If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

Evidently, if you are a PWS owner, access will not end on 12/31/18 like it will for everyone else. I would contact them or you can follow this comment thread on their website.
http://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api

Yeah, my expiration shows 11/18/2019. I assume that will change at some point because I'm a paying customer, but no one has contacted me yet.

I'm ready to go with Weewx at a moments notice though.

The OpenWeatherMap included with HE won't work for your requirements? It's been pretty accurate for me and has a decent dataset.

2 Likes

Thanks John! Simple ignorance. I had no idea about OpenWeatherMap device type! Cheers.

This one is my favorite. I've tried quite a few.

2 Likes

Should this work for the UK from within HE? I've signed up and got my API key, but if I put my UK postcode in the ZIPcode tile I get an error in the live log and no data. If I choose a random US Zip code for New York it works OK but that doesn't give a very good forecast for Exeter UK!

Yeah...They have all kinda goodies hiding all over the place in the Hubitat. :smile:

I tried various combinations of UK codes and postal codes with no luck either. Guess ya gotta move to the US! Haaaaa! I'm sure someone from the HE Staff or another geek extraordinaire will get this running right for your locale.

1 Like

Trial and error was the answer. I discovered that by putting just the first part of the postcode (in my case EX11) and then GB in the country code, it works.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@john.hart3706, I have been playing with the OpenWeatherMap for a few days. However I am finding it is not updating unless I manually hit refresh. How are you getting it to update?

1 Like

I tried OpenWeatherMap but for some reason I'm getting weather for a city 20/25 miles south of me and not the city I live in. Here in South Florida weather can be very different across the street much less 20/25 miles away. lol

Similar problem for as well. I'm in Massachusetts and OWM is showing me the weather 15 miles north of my actual location. Worse, it's on the other side of the I495 belt which can mean the difference between 6" of snow and 12" of snow. The weather here sucks as it is--no reason to see weather conditions that report more snow than there really is. :wink:

I ended up ditching OWM and using ApiXU which actually provides the weather conditions for my town.

One missing item from ApiXU is a Severe Weather Alert. While ApiXU delivers local weather values, you might find a need for a 2nd means in order to get the Alerts.

I'm in So Cal and the alerts we get are not weather related :slight_smile: so ApiXU is fine for ME. :slight_smile: