Outlet power sensor

I have a wall switch that toggles an outlet on and off, which I use for a dumb floor lamp. I can't find a sensor that will alert me change in the power to the outlet, which I can use to perform other tasks when I flip that light on (like other Hue lights in the room). A Ring Alarm range extender will send an alert on power loss, but I can't tell if it will work well for this use. Is there a better device? There are plenty of power meters, but they all go silent when the power is cut. I could monitor for loss of connection, but that is not very fast.

I assume the switch is a "dumb" switch? If so, replace it with a "smart" one that you can use in Rule Machine or other automation apps.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

:thinking: Maybe using a Sengled bulb as per this thread:

So the challenge you're facing here is that devices can only report when they have power. Your options are:

• Make the switch smart, and act on the switch state changes. Note that many smart switches will explicitly say not to use them to control wall outlets, because they generally are not rated for the full amount of current that could be plugged into an outlet.
  • Rewire for a smart switch and smart bulb. If the outlet didn't control the switch, but merely sent a command to the (always-powered) bulb to turn on, everything works the way you're looking for. Probably the best if you're handy with basic wiring.
  • I believe Aeotec Ring makes a device with an internal rechargeable battery which will report when it loses power. (Ring Alarm Range Extender.) However, I'm not certain which, or if it's designed for normally-off operation. Technically, that may not matter, since you don't care about it doing anything while the power is off except immediately reporting that it's off.

If you have a dumb switch in the circuit, it is difficult using either a smart bulb or a sensor to monitor power. Both of these devices need constant power to remain connected to your system. In one of my rooms I have a WIZ WiFi enabled smart bulb, but I have to leave the dumb power switch turned on at all times and then control the light bulb either with a rule triggered by a motion sensor or turned on and off using a voice assistant, in my case Alexa. I could also turn it off an on using a remote control. I just can no longer use the dumb switch on the wall.

If a wall switch currently controls power to an outlet, you can always replace it with a smart switch. However, be careful replacing it with a smart dimmer. Since things other than a dimmable lamp can be plugged into an outlet, you might end up damaging either the device or the dimmer should an inappropriate device be plugged into the outlet controlled by the dimmer. I have converted all my hard wired lighting fixtures to dimmers and have installed dimmable LED bulbs, but I do not use dimmers to replace wall switches if they control receptacles..

Another idea is a switch guard cover that reminds you not to flip that particular switch. I have several in my home. They make toggle and rocker versions.

1 Like

Is there any reason you could not change the wall switch?

I really despise switched outlets, especially when there are 4-5 in the room and you only need one lamp. That gives you 3+ other half-useless outlets in the room.

I would highly recommend doing what I have done in two of my rooms. I replaced the wall switch with a Smart switch, and wired the outlets to be always hot. So there is no load connected to the wall switch anymore and anything can be plugged into any outlet in the room. Then I put a smart plug on the lamp. When the switch is pressed I have a rule that turns on the lamp. I also setup some actions for double-taps on the switch to turn on auxiliary LED lights in the same room (similar to what you want to do).

2 Likes

Do you have a favorite switch? It seems like there is no device that exists that does what I want.

It is so easy to build one. Just look at this thread for instructions:

It cost me about $20 to build one. Once you have it built, plug your lamp into one outlet of the receptacle, and the power monitor into the other.

Flip the switch; the power monitor will change status, and you know your lamp is either on of off, depending on whether you flipped the switch on or off.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t install a smart switch - in fact I think that’s a cleaner and more useful approach. But it is totally possible to build a power monitor that does exactly what you want.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, just a device would require an internal battery. The Ring range extender you mentioned might work or might not if off for a long time or if flipped on and off; it is not really designed for that I fear. Somebody does have a hack of using a battery powered door sensor that can accept external leads, and wire that to a dc power adapter, which does exactly what I need; but its a total hack and I really just want to buy something. Somebody did sell this hack on Amazon for a while but its no longer available: https://www.amazon.com/seven7express-S7E-01-Z-Wave-Outage-Sensor/dp/B01IZ2JYQU/.

I like Lutron devices. They are very reliable and I’ve never had one fail or drop offline in about 10 years of use. Plus you get to use Pico remotes.

1 Like

well, he sells them here for $60: https://www.seven7express.com

That device is a GoControl contact sensor with a 5Vdc relay squeezed into the casing. No different than the devices you derided as “total hacks” :joy:

2 Likes

Totally agree with that! Also not going to pay $60 for it. I'll make my own first. Grumble grumble.

Here's another option I suppose: a double throw switch with one half connected to a Hue switch module. This would preserve the reliable dumb function of the switch in case of hub failure. I suppose, in this case it would be just as easy to buy a smart switch, but none of them seem to be flippy type toggle switches.

I am using a Zooz ZEN71 as a no-load switch, with a Zigbee outlet for the lamp (no power reporting).

This is: Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave Long Range S2 On / Off Toggle Switch ZEN73 800L - The Smartest House

4 Likes

wound up paying the $60 and it worked beautifully - the switch was painted into the wall and I didn't want to rip it out