Outdoor safe smart outlets?

I'd have to look, but I believe both panels are QD. It's been since early 2009 when this was done so my memory is a little crusty.

I should be clear, I am not going to go to the time, expense, and effort of replacing my panels just to get automated control to them. That is not a value proposition I am willing to entertain.

However since the house is slated for residing in the somewhat near future, I will have access to the walls and will be able to add / have added a box with a switch for the outlets that would allow me to integrate smart switches. I can integrate the Nutone Zwave 15 amp switches, or other similar that can handle the load and call it good. So delay this implementation but concept firmly in place.

1 Like

Simpler option. I'm going to assume at some point the romex is exposed on it's way to the outlet. Install a 2 gang box, 1st has a gcfi outlet (or install a single gang if you have a gcfi breaker on that circuit) and install a simple z-wave switch like an innovelli. This gives you full control over both outlets and even if something happens to z-wave you can still kill the power with a switch. Now if you want to truly be mean you could wire in an isolater, 220 volt resistor and a relay to send 220 volts down the line to the outlet to burn out anything he plugs in to there. I would but only because I'm a petty human being :joy:

This sounds like a waaaaaay better idea than anything else mentioned here.

Lutron recently released an outdoor-rated caseta plug, though.

1 Like

QO (not QD). QO stands for Quick Open.

So years ago, Square D made an add-on for some QOB panels that permitted external control of these breakers. I don't know if they do any more.

If I am reading what you are writing correctly then yes, we are on the same page. I will need switches that are rated to handle the sockets though. Most smart switches for some dumb reason are 500 - 600w max load. But sockets are 1500w, or at least 15 amps. Not sure of the math on that...

Even the Nutone switches even though they call them 15 amp switches, they reate them for 600w of lighting. Go figure.

right but that's mainly for the whole line. If you put it on before the outlet and the outlet is last in line there isn't really anything to worry about. I don't know what anyone would be plugging into an outdoor outlet that would even come close to a 600w load. 15 Amps in general can handle 1800w but again, can't see anything that would pull high wattage. Even plugging in a string of led bulbs probably wouldn't pull a 100 watts max much less lets say some kind of entertainment equipment (speaker) wont pull more than 20.

Electric mower at 15 amps. Electric chainsaw, Edger, weed eater etc... Most electric lawn tools take up 15 amps. And when providing power to the Christmas lights and inflatables it is best to have plenty of overhead available instead of overloading the circuit.

And I have already been in the 2 existing boxes. These are indeed the end of the line.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.