Outdoor PIR motion sensor

Hi everyone,
Please help me.
I'm New here and just started the home automation.
I am looking for an outdoor PIR motion sensor that works with the h
Hubitat.
I would like to use it around the house and the main entrance.

I have been using the Philips Hue Outdoor Motion sensor (Zigbee) for a few years now. It has been very reliable for me. I have it paired directly to my C-8 Pro Hubitat Elevation hub's Zigbee mesh network.

https://www.amazon.com/Phllips-Hue-570985-Philips-Outdoor/dp/B09KNP7ZTQ

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your help

You may also want to read the following guides, before you start buying hardware. Both Zigbee and Z-Wave are 'mesh' networks, which require main-powered devices to help build a strong mesh network, with multiple repeaters.

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/how-to/build-a-solid-zigbee-mesh

2 Likes

I have another question.
I already had the Leviton wifi switches.
Can I integrate somehow with Hubitat and see in the dashboard control my lights?

"WiFi" when used with home automation devices usually means proprietary. And that means the specification to control the device does not exist to the public. And that means no one can write a driver. No driver, it can't be integrated into Hubitat.

Hubitat does have many integrations for WiFi products that have the API published. The latest is Matter over WiFi, for example.

You'll need to be more specific with the model of Leviton but I'd have to guess, no, they cannot be integrated. There is a discussion from 2020 related to Leviton WiFi and a driver was created that used Leviton's Cloud.

1 Like

Thank you

Somehow Smartthings, Google, and Amazon (to name three) have done this integration.

I actually have an indoor Hue motion sensor in a plastic bag under the eve of a shed. It's what I had handy, but it's been working well. It's aimed at the house. I'm trying to get a heads up on the damn deer, lol. Only false alarms were when it was very, and I mean very, windy. I initially had it mounted on the house, aimed away from the house, but the trees would set it off too easily. False alarms are something to think about, for sure, when messing around outside.

edit: Oh, and, because of the erroneous zigbee radio reboots, I arranged it so I have no zigbee repeaters-all connect direct to hub, and are all battery powered. Works great and no radio reboots.

Yes, they all leverage the cloud as the primary processing point. Hubitat is instead focused on local processing.

I'm not sure what the point is.. in 2020 the Hubitat Community created the integration too... via the Cloud. Around here, "cloud" is frowned upon first, accepted later. I have cloud devices certainly, Weather is a big example, but an internet outage, which would break that, largely won't affect my automations. I'm in California and I just don't have automations that are: "if it's raining..." :smiley: (that's a Drought joke)

Welcome to the community!

Just to add, the Hue PIR sensors can sometimes be too environmentally sensitive (wind etc) so for my front door I went with two sensors and use the built in Zone Motion Controller App to all but eliminate false alerts.