OTA Update for zwave and zigbee using the C5 hub

Hi,

I'm a little new to the Hubitat game. I'd like to update the firmware on a bunch of my switches and devices that are a bit older. I see that before the C5, if I had a separate Z-Wave USB stick I could unplug that from my hub and into a Windows PC to run the updates. With the C5 hub, I'd have to exclude and then later re-include all of my devices (well over 50 total now). Being able to run these updates through the HE C5 would be an amazing option.

I recognize that this is likely low (or perhaps not even yet) on the roadmap.

Thank you for your consideration!

3 Likes

I don't know if my suggestion will work, so it is speculative. You could always get a zwave stick, add it as a secondary controller to HE, and then use it with a Windows PC to upload firmware updates without unpairing/re-pairing.

I have the smartstick+.

How can I do this?

Go buy the HomeSeer OTA firmware app. Then you can do this.

1 Like

Cool - and with their 50% off sale right now it was a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

How do you make them talk to each other though?

If you have the drivers to get your USB up and running then all you need to do is launch the HomeSeer app and enable the USB stick. Once that happens put your HE hub into discovery mode. Then click Add/Remove in HomeSeer and your USB stick will be added to your ZWave mesh.

1 Like

Thanks, I got it working. Updating two GE devices.

So it's obvious that HomeSeer doesn't get their hands on all firmware updates? I have two outdoor Jasco devices. It doesn't appear to have any firmware files for these?

I have learned that Jasco and Zooz provide firmware updates through email. If you reachout to them they usually send the firmware. That is how I got the Zooz 2.0 powers trip update.

How did you update GE devices, the Z-Flash software does not state that it includes any FW for GE devices according to this article?

http://help.homeseer.com/help/Z-Flash/static/#.firmware_included_with_z_flash

I didn't think anyone had success in getting FW files for GE devices. Is there a particular support email address to reach out?

I have not asked for any FW from GE but the HomeSeer community states it is possible.

Oops, sorry for the confusion.

I updated my Levinton switches not GE.

I know this is old, but there are three solutions I use to update Z-Wave firmware

1. Pair direct with Z-Stick on private network
  2. Pair direct with Z-Stick on automation network
  3. update using Z-Wave Updater driver

Private Network

1. Factory reset z-wave device (hubitat will think it is just offline)
  2. pair to Z-Stick
  3. update firmware
  4. test updated device
  5. exclude from Z-Stick
  6. pair to Hubitat as new device
  7. note DNI (device Network ID) of newly paired device
  8. change the DNI of the new device to new number
  9. update the original Device entry and change the DNI to the new Device's DNI
  10. remove the device driver with the random DNI that is no longer linked to a device

Automation network

1. Add z-stick to Hubitat
  2. using z-stick, update firmware of target device from nearby the device
  3. upon completion, test unit from z-stick

This method will not exclude the device from the network, so once it is updated, you are done. This is easier, but very slow compare to the private network solution above.

Z-Wave Firmware Updater device

1. Install the Z-Wave Firmware updater device driver from: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveFirmwareUpdater.groovy
  2. change your z-wave device to the Z-Wave Firmware Updater
  3. refresh browser, and update your firmware (it will be slower, the farther away the device is from the hub)
  4. upon completion, change the driver back to the correct one.

This solution is medium complexity, and works well, but you may have to try a few times, and although it work exceptionally well, it is not recommended you update this way if you have a z-stick handy.

2 Likes