Order of commands in rule machine

Thanks, @bravenel! That's very similar to what my RM interface looks like. But clicking on any specific entry, or the 'info' circle at the far right, loads only the RM panel - not the entry for a specific rule. This is how RM has always been, despite reinstallations.

My screenshot looks exactly like yours (albeit different rule names). However, clicking on any of them loads the RM main panel. Here before clicking the rule:

and here after clicking:

I can access the correct URL (eg, http://hubitat.local/installedapp/configure/<NNN>) by control-clicking, so I suspect some buggy javascript.

This is a browser problem. What browser are you using?

So you cannot click on the link "A test Rule" and open that rule? Our UI guy is on an airplane at the moment, but we have seen this problem before once with someone's browser not allowing the mouse to select correctly.

1 Like

Javascript console shows no errors, though it does show loading JQMIGRATE - I guess you're moving away from jquery?

Are you running on Mac OS Beta? Or Safari Beta?

That's where we saw this behavior before. It was a Safari bug.

Indeed, there seems to be a problem with the UI. I'm using the current shipping version of Safari, WebKit/Core. I hope your UI guy can fix it. I get some of my best coding done on planes.

Try any other browser. This is not a known artifact of anything we are familiar with.

No, this is the major shipping version. It is hard, as developers, for us to make sure things work on all major browsers. The web is remarkably inconsistent.

OK, I just reproduced this on Safari. This is what we saw with Beta. I submit it is a browser bug.

When you right click on the link, it's getting the correct link. But when you just click on it, it gets the wrong link. Go figure!

Try this with Chrome, or any other browser. I can't explain why Safari is doing this, it makes no sense at all.

1 Like

This is a safari issue. I just tried it and see the issue you see. If you use Chrome or Firefox, there is no issue.

1 Like

Thanks. I'm not sure I (or other customers) can switch browsers to make Hubitat work, though. I hope you will consider addressing it Hubitat-Side - it's only Hubitat, and only Rule Machine, that displays this behavior.

As such, it is not simply 'a browser bug'. It may be that only Rule Machine exposes some bug that Safari/WebCore implements. . . but it nevertheless cripples Rule Machine (and that seems unlikely, anyway).

OK, you're right, this page doesn't work with Safari, and it should. We didn't pursue this when we first saw it in the beta. We will fix it, as it should work with Safari. In the meantime, I would suggest you use a different browser.

Certainly dismissing customers by telling them to alter their entire workflow is not something most businesses get away with for a long time.

Being harangued and told I was simply wrong, repeatedly, has definitely soured me on Rule Machine and Hubitat here.

I understand it's hard to hear about bugs in your software. I endure it every day. But customers aren't the right place to let it show.

Thanks again for taking the time to construct some example rules above. I'll go try it out. Have a good weekend, all.

I am dumbfounded to discover this problem, and I apologize for "haranguing" you. I don't routinely use Safari with Hubitat, and so had no idea this problem even existed. It's not that it's hard to hear about bugs in our software, that happens and is part of what goes with developing a large system. I was literally not understanding what you were describing, never having seen it.

It was exactly this - writing it in Groovy - that made me ask whether I was barking up the wrong tree to try to do it in RM. Especially if it's going to get more complex.

Can applications take inputs? EG, if I made a hot tub controller app, and I wanted later for it to respond to web hooks, etc, can it?

I suppose the way to do that is to associate instructions in the app with virtual switches/etc?

Thanks again, these steps are great, I'm going to make a virtual-hot-tub out of switches and lights in the living room to see it all in action. Debugging with the house lights makes it fun for the whole family.

Of course. Every built-in app is written in Groovy, right on a Hubitat Elevation hub.

This bug is ours, we own it. It will be fixed in the next release.

1 Like

I too was experiencing the Safari bug as described above. I assumed that you guys were aware of it otherwise I would have mentioned it as well. I’ve been using the control click to open a new tab and that works or as you suggested using another browser worked. It doesn’t do this on safari for iOS though. I also just installed the macOS Mojave this afternoon and was pleased to find out this isn’t a problem in safari on Mojave.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This bug has been fixed in the latest release: Hub Update 1.1.3

1 Like

Thanks Bruce. I tested with Safari Version 11.1.2 (12605.3.8.1) and it's working for me now too.

1 Like