Option in Settings to default Dashboards to local LAN links instead of Cloud links

Would it be possible to implement an option within the settings page of the Hubitat mobile app for iOS (or both) that defaults Dashboard links (on the Dashboard screen) to local LAN links, instead of always defaulting to Cloud dashboard links? I do not make my dashboards available to the internet and only use local LAN dashboard links (through a VPN). Having to tap the cloud icon to switch to local links every time I open the app is inconvenient. Thanks.

The App currently does this, if I am on my local Wifi network the HE mobile app shows local dashboard links, whereas if I turn off Wifi, I see the cloud links. I suspect the change you are after is that the app can detect that your VPN provides you with local access. Is this right?

Whilst not through the app, you could try saving local links to dashboards as shortcuts on your phone, admittedly an additional overhead for each device. Not sure what's possible on iPhone.

My Hubitat app does not do this (on iOS 15.5) . When I open it (even if i force close and re-open it), I am presented with the dashboard screen with the small cloud icon on the top right. When I try to go to any of my dashboards, I receive an error stating that "Cloud Access is Not allowed for this Dashboard". Perhaps it's a bug in the application? I am currently connected to my home network (not through VPN) and my ip address is 192.168.x.x. I don't mind clicking the cloud icon to switch to local LAN links when I am away from home over VPN, but this happens all the time.

I did notice, just before replying to your message, that when I unlocked my phone and clicked on the Hubitat app, it did say "switching to local in 3 seconds" or something like that, but that was the only time that I have ever seen that message, and when I force close the app and re-open it, I only get the cloud-based dashboard page.

Thanks for your help.

I realize this is an old thread, but hadn't run into the problem before.

If my internet is down I cannot access the dashboards from the HE app. It always defaults to the cloud. Without the internet there isn't a icon to switch to local.

Right now my internet is down and I can't access the dashboards from the HE app on either my Iphone or my Ipad. No way to switch to local or apparently not switching automatically.

Have you tried clicking on the little cloud icon on the top right of your screen to switch from cloud to LAN access? This works for me.

I don't know why the app developers have not added a setting that would allow us to choose which access method that the app should default too. Those of us that do not allow cloud access to our dashboards would benefit from this option. The app is not able to properly determine when I am on my home network and I have to manually switch from cloud to LAN access each time that I access my dashboards. You would think that this would be an easy setting to add for us!

Thats what has me puzzled. When everything is working ok, that icon shows up, either cloud or home. But when it isn't working, internet down, that icon doesn't show up and thus I can't click on it. One thing I didn't try was browser access. I will try that a little later when the missus doesn't realize the internet is off.... Also going to dig out an old Android tablet and see if the same thing happens there. I tend to believe it's an Apple issue as much as anything.

Android tablet works great, whether there is internet or not. So it's definitely an Apple issue.

Part of the reason I was testing this. We have a sound board at Church that has the option to be remotely controlled from a tablet, etc. The sound board creates it's own WIFI network. When I connected to it from my tablet, even tho I could connect to the WIFI network, I couldn't access the mixer. When I tried it with my phone it worked fine. But the phone had internet access. Even tho the sound board didn't need that. So it appeared there is something in Apple's setup that doesn't let the WIFI work completely without internet. Can't seem to find any answers from Apple other than other people having the same issue. But all that is my problem. Appreciate the help.

I have a similar instance of this, every now and then
out of four hubs, in the house on the Wi-Fi network all of a sudden it switches me out to cloud connection for one of them. Sorry this is an iPhone.
My first investigation took me down the route of the hub mesh as I could see that hubs had lost connection with each other.
But it happened again yesterday. Closed the app completely, still no go. So I just rebooted the phone as I was in my way out to work. All was fine. Normal service resumed.
Not saying it’s the same issue but throwing it in there as every iPhone I have had has quirks joining Wi-Fi networks, like not throwing up a login web page.

I haven’t tried to access my dashboards without internet access, I just don’t understand why we can’t have the option to default to LAN access vs Cloud access for our dashboards. Seems like an easy setting to add.

Humm. Third time this has happened in a week. Not sure if it’s linked to the above.
But again couldn’t get onto one of my c7 hubs on the LAN. no browser connectivity with msg “server not responding”. But on the IOS mobile app I could connect BUT via remote cloud connection only. Even though the phone was on the same LAN.
Did a graceful reboot of hub. Still no go.
Rebooted iPhone….. Back to normal.
As I was still sitting in bed couldn’t be arsed to get MacBook to check before rebooting iPhone but if it happens agin that’s the next bit of root cause analysis.
These Hubitats keep you in your toes :wink::+1:

It hit me again today. Internet was down and we had to leave. I stopped just outside my garage door where I still had strong wifi signal. Opened HE app on my phone to access a dashboard to turn on the alarm. All it would do is show white screen. It would NOT switch to local. Went to tools and the only option was to connect via remote admin. Connect locally was not available. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.