OpenWeatherMap doesnt expose many settings?

It seems weather is a in a bit of an upheavel with weather undeground etc.

I setup openweathermap and it seems to work fine, however, it seems other than humidity and temp, there really isn't much available to action on, even though more comes back from the api.

What am I missing?

I have weather switch by @Cobra (who is awesome!) but it doesn't seem that the fields it uses work off the open weather device.

Very simply I'd just like an automation to turn on more lights when its overcast, openweathermap has a "cloudiness" value but it doesn't appear its exposed anywhere?

I'm trying to reconcile how it all goes together and weather seems a bit fractured. If anyone can suggest some work arounds or direction I would be so grateful!

Give Apixu a try. @bangali has done a great job doing lux calculations. While not hyper-local, it works very well for my needs.

1 Like

Does that work with "Weather Switch" by default?

Honestly, I donā€™t know but I do believe @bangali driver and @Cobra WU driver share many of the same attributes. Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m not at home so I canā€™t check to make sure.

I believe @bangali uses various calculations (including ā€˜cloudinessā€™) for his ā€˜iluminationā€™ attribute.
Weather Switch will work with this attribute.

Andy

2 Likes

I have apixu a try and that seems to expose a few mor items, still seems silly the native OpenWeatherMap map doesnā€™t, is that code anywhere? Happy to modify it to add that ability

Apart from a couple of virtual demo drivers, Hubitat drivers and apps are closed, not open source.
So, unfortunately no, the drivers code is not released.

Andy

It depends on what the location reports, not all locations report the same information. Here is what is reported from downtown Chicago:

1 Like

@rob121

I can probably add actions on ā€˜cloudinessā€™ to the Weather Switch feature request list.
(Assuming you can get that attribute from your local station)

Andy

I am in Florida, USA and I get cloudiness for open weather map also, @Cobra much appreciated Iā€™d look forward to that addition!

the apixu driver does expose the cloudiness as provided by apixu which based on user feedback seems to be consistent from locations around the world.

jfyi ā€¦ WATO works with any driver any attribute:

1 Like

@bangali WATO looks very interesting, I'll check it out. I used apixu and it seems to deliver a ton great data, wonderful work! Thanks!

1 Like

I have just released a new version of Weather Switch which should be ably to switch on 'Cloud Cover' 'coudiness'
I warn you though that I don't have a device to test this with so in theory it should work... but..

Hit the update button!

Andy