OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

This was discussed three and half years ago here. At that time you could click on the OWM Logo and it was a hyperlink that would take to OWM's site for your location. That still works. If there are alerts you could click on the alert message on their site and it would open extended details of the alert(s). Because of that existing functionality this driver never recreated that capability in the driver itself, it just pointed you to the location where that was provided.

I just looked and the OWM location specific site does list a weather alert for my location, as it did before, but clicking on that alert does nothing. Clicking on that weather alert (circled in the screenshot attached) use to take you to a more detailed alert description page that showed all current alerts for that location. I will notify OWM that this functionality has gone away and is still requested. I do not plan on re-creating that functionality in the driver.

Yes, that is normal. The driver does the conversion from imperial to the unit of measure you specified in the driver, if necessary.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right that does work, however it’s not useful for me as I want to use the data to automate my battery storage reserve capacity.

Essentially I want to search the text of the warnings for “strong winds” etc in an RM rule and raise my reserve capacity when power outages are likely. Eg

As you can see, I’ve done this using the Weather Underground driver I maintain. However I’ve added your excellent driver to my toolkit due to WU alerts no longer being provided via the API for some unpublished reason.

Aside from being cold, I don’t have any today, but I’m keeping an eye for you. :+1:

[UPDATED V0.7.1 07/29/2024]

Added attribute called 'alertDescrFull' that contains the full text of the first 10 weather alerts if using OWM as your alert source. You must have this turned on:

Then you can use Rule Machine or WebCoRE to do text searches of the attribute 'alertDescrFull' for specific strings that may be in any of the alerts to trigger your actions.

If using HPM do an Update or a Repair. Otherwise open the driver code and re-import the code. Thanks.

Thank you Matthew, that works perfectly! :ok_hand:

I have upgraded to V0.7.1
but I do not see

is there a step I am missing?

Update; Sorry forgot to turn on Display All Optional Attributes, disregard.

2 Likes

Hi! I must say I love your driver, having been using it for 2 years or more!
Can somebody please remind me: where can I find description of the different forecast attributes? I couldn't find in the wiki and the API doc for openweather didn't help me either.

I am trying to figure, for example, if I want to know how could will it be tonight (so the lowest temp from of tonight, including past midnight hours) .
I see the forecastNight and forecastLow and they have different numbers. Could somebody please explain?

That data point in not provided in the API. The API provides:

So forecastLow could be today's date just before midnight, or if could be today's date just after midnight. If you wanted to you could take the lowest temp of forecastLow or forecastLow1 That would assure that if the temp drops after midnight that forecastLow1 should show that lower number.

1 Like