OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

Just for clarification. I just signed up for the 3.0 API and gave it a credit card. However I continued using the API keys I had previously generated. I switched the switch in the device to 3.0 and everything appears to be working.

So I don't need to generate new API keys now that I have the 3.0 "subscription"?

Their web site is not great. It shows that the only thing I have under the Services tab is the free service. Yet when I click on Billing Plans it shows that I have the Open Call API 3.0 - which I guess they don't deem to be a service and so don't list it on the Services tab?

2 Likes

I created a new key. But, I am not seeing anything that makes the new key "special" to indicate it is a 3.0 and changed the app to the new key. I gave both keys a friendly name with the API version numbers just in case there actually is a difference.

1 Like

Curious if anyone has a suggestion. I upgraded to the latest driver and have been using the 3 day forecast attribute on my dashboard. The icons have stopped processing and I am not sure if I am missing something. Thanks, Dan

Did you sign up for a 3.0 api key or are you using the older version? I would try posting your config and any logs as that might help?

I see that as well. I signed up for 3.0 about a week ago - only noticed today that the icons aren't there. I'm certain they were last night. hmm.

The icons have nothing to do with the OWM API. The are pulled from the site you specify in the drivers settings. Make sure that site is not being blocked by a DNS filter (Pi-Hole), virus protection, etc...

Looks like the tinyurl site may be having issues? When I try to access a PNG file, I get an error about Cloudflare not being able to resolve the name. My forecast tiles were broken for most of the day. Mid-day, I noticed that one tablet was showing the icons and images correctly, but now it is not. This appears to be Cloudflare or TinyURL having issues.

It does look like tinyurl/cloudflare issue. The icons have been sporadic lately. Not an issue with the driver.

fwiw - icons are back for me tonite.

They returned shortly after my previous post about this being a DNS issue. Murphy must have been watching, or listening.

I think I found a bug. The override lat and long are used even after the option has been turned off.

1. Turn on: Override Hub's location coordinates
  2. Enter lat and long
  3. Save
  4. Turn OFF: Override Hub's location coordinates
  5. Save
  6. Poll. Driver still uses coordinates from step #2

Since the lat and long are required, they can't be blanked out before the Override option is turned off.

[UPDATED V0.7.0 05/13/2024]

Corrected moon phase

If using HPM do an Update or a Repair. Otherwise open the driver code and re-import the code. Thanks.

3 Likes

No issues here (last updated data 3 mins ago) so it's not a universal problem.

Never mind had to turn it on in the driver.

@Matthew I was hoping to use your driver to get access to weather alerts as WU Alerts dont seem to work via the API anymore (the API works, but alerts dont reflect those shown via the app/web page for the area).

Anyhoo, l cant get your driver to work with either of my known working API keys:

However, the stock HE driver works just fine with both keys:

Btw, one thing I noticed in your API call is it's asking for Imperial data, despite me selecting metric options - is that normal?

EDIT: my API key is definitely working as location data after a save is returned:

Just a thought. In your settings, the API 2.5 key is selected (Switch is off). But, I know they deprecated that in June. You might try getting a 3.0 key (requires card - but no charges under 1000 calls/day) and turning on the API 3.0 key switch.

Summary

I appreciate the advice, but I created 2 API keys today, and both work in the basic Hubitat driver.

Ps, changing to v3 didn’t help, I retried it and in still getting access denied.

I’ve upgraded to the new plan, so I’ll give that sometime to see if that was the issue.

You were correct, this was the solution. :+1:

@Matthew is there a way to access secondary weather warnings? Were I live we get a lot of flood warnings that don’t actually impact us. Eg

But the secondary warning (the +1) of strong winds is a concern as it usually produces power outages. Eg

EDIT: I just bashed the API data into VSCode and the second warning is there - let me know if you'd like the JSON output to test against?