OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

I have four of them directly connected to HE.

Many here from 04:04:05 to 16:18:09EDT, when it stopped.

Thanks

Illuminated Setting is off, but continues updating lux value

Those are two different things. The Optional Attribute 'Illuminated' determines if that attribute is available and displayed. Regardless of that setting the 'updateLux' routine is scheduled to run every ten minutes. That routine determines if the polling frequency should switch from the 'Daytime' schedule to the 'Nighttime' schedule. Therefore the 'updateLux' routine cannot be turned off and is expected to be scheduled and run.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Anyone have a enough time in the saddle to know which OWM alerts to set to look for Snow? I have the outdoor HeatTrak heating mats on my deck to keep the path to the hot tub clear. However, HeatTrak says the mats will damage the composite decking boards if I leave the native thermostatic sensor to control the mats (turns mats on if outside temp is below 40...which basically means the entire winter in Minnesota). Thus I'd like to remove the thermostatic adapter and instead have the OWM driver trigger a state that turns on a smart switch when it sees there's snow in the near term forecast. I'll have to figure out a Turn Off method (any thoughts there too?). I've installed the OWM user driver with HPM and scrolled thru and realized I might need someone's experience to know which states correspond best to Snow and Snow that is near term or happening now ?.

I don't know that there is a way to reliably do that? You might be able to look for text strings of 'snow', 'flurries', etc... in the 'condition_text' attribute and then trigger your heater to turn on until a preset time after that condition changes to not include those words.

yeah, working on that right now. I think I've got a good rule set. The condition_text was the key; that'll have "snow" in it even if the condition_code says flurries so I just look for contains snow. That's easy so far. It's the turning off that I'm playing around with since there's both a scenario where it's stopped snowing BUT peak hot tubbing time so it's nice to barefoot out to the tub on hot mats and so I'm checking to make sure to NOT turn off the mats during those peak times even if there's not snow (ie stopped snowing)...also a factor where I can't be too aggressive with turning off the mats with an elapsed time since I can't have it snow a lot and then stop and then have the mats turn off before the snow is melted....thus I'm doing the turn on from a 30 minute poll to OWM and the turn off on a 3 hours poll (including the overlay of those peak times to avoid a turn off). Fun stuff! Much appreciate the OWM Matt. In fact, I'm having that affect a virtual switch to compartmentalize basically a flag for snow or no snow and then my actual smart switch will just trigger from that virtual switch status....it's in that rule I put my time restrictions.

Don't suppose there's a way to get a Dashboard tile to report the condition_text value? I don't need an image, the text readout would be suffice for my spot check. I couldn't tell difference between the OWM driver under User heading in the device type field vs the OWM driver under the System heading.... I'm using the one under User since it had the extra fields. Can you clarify that too?

You believe you need to use the User Driver (This driver). Then select the Optional Attribute 'Condition_text' to enable it for dashboards. Create a tile in your dashboard by selecting this driver, then 'Attribute' then 'condition_text'. See this post on the process. (It is using the Three day Forecast Tile, but the process is the same). Hope that helps.

Anyone know how to get this to speak the alertDescr? TIA

In Rule machine the trigger is a Custom Attribute Changed. That attribute is AlertDescr. Create a local variable (AlertText in my example) and set it to AlertDescr when triggered. Speak %AlertText%.

@Matthew I have it set up like yours except for the Weather-Display alertDescr line. I can only get it to say 'Set alertText to alertDescr without the Weather-Display part. How does that come in to play? TIA

EDIT: BINGO! I was using the wrong thing in setting up the variable. Once I set it up using Device Attribute I was able to get the correct Settings and the Rule now works. Thanks for the help!

EDIT 2: One question? When you set the variable alertText to alertDescr you specify a word that the alertDescr would contain. Is that word case sensitive. In other words does it matter if I use Snow or snow? TIA

1 Like

Could you consider adding additional forecasting?
I see that openweathermap provides 8 days of forecasting but your app only allows up to 3 days.
I am truly only interested in "forecast text", "rain amount", "forecast high" and "forecast low" for those 8 days.
I use this to predict how much snow there will be in my area and if it will melt or not before the end of the day so that I can predict if I will need to shovel the snow or make arrangements to do so. As much advance notice as possible is really helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you for the great service!

There are no plans to expand the scope of the drivers attributes. There are many, many more attributes that are available in the API that are not exposed in this driver. The driver is already a bit bloated as it is now and any further expansion will use more resources that benefit very few individuals. The code is open, so feel free to add in what you think you may need in your copy. The code is pretty stable at this point (only two small tweaks this year), so any changes you make will not have to be re-added for official code changes very often.

Thanks.

Ok, thanks. I may make the changes myself.

Thanks for the starting point :slight_smile:

I'm not far along with this - but I've been dabbling with applying patch files to groovy code user Composer. my idea was to keep copies on my github of the customized drivers I've created. They are basically forks but git has a way to keep your fork updated. Then composer applies the patches on a scheduled basis, my git desktop pushes it back into the Git rep and I pull downloads using HPM urls. It's a work in progress.

@Matthew Matthew thank you for all your hard work on this awesome driver. I use hubitat with home remote so I’m hopping I can user your data to populate the labels I want to use. what I was wondering how often do you make call to OWM I have the free API key and have 1000 calls a day on oncall and 1 mil of Gen calls if I understand there API. I set 3 hrs day and night but still see in the data a poll of 1p Min. Could this be right also in hubitat in the schedule log update of 10 to 15 min.

Dan

Sorry, I can really decipher your question here?

The driver allows for two polling frequencies. One for 'daytime' (sunrise to sunset) and one for 'nighttime' (sunset to sunrise). Many users wanted more frequency during the day as they use the driver's LUX (illuminance) attribute, but don't need/want that frequency when it is dark out. The driver uses OWM's OneCall API for all of it's data and that API allows for 1,000 polls per day for free. So if there were 16 hours of daylight (summer) and 8 hours of nighttime, you could poll as frequently as every two minutes during the day and every five minutes at night and remain under the limit ( 30 Polls/hour * 16 hours) + (12 polls/hour * 8 hours) = 576 polls per day. You would remain well under the 1,000 per day limitation on their API. You should also verify that your location actually updates the underlying data at that frequency. Just because you can poll the API that often does mean the data has changed. If your location's underlying data that the API feeds is only updated every 15 minutes it does not help to poll more often than that.

In general API polls take hub resources and creates a larger database. You should consider your requirement for fresh data frequency and balance that with the hub resources required to provide that frequency.

Hope that helps.

Hi Matthew, thanks for getting back so quickly. You answered the question bang on and that info is what I was looking for. I will make the changes you pointed out and I will be good to go.

Dan