OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

... but you are not using the tiles from this driver. This driver supports that built-in tile so it will show it, but there are Tiles that are unique to this driver. See this post on how to display those.

Okay, one has to turn on the additional attributes in the driver, and then create a tile using the "attribute" template, and then selecting an attribute. And now I can at least see things on the dashboard.

What I really need is an event that can trigger other actions in automations of some sort; will that be there too now, one of the additional attributes I turned on? I shall go look! [ETA: and, having looked, I have found, and I have been able to program light changes based on weather alert status. I want to get some blinking happening, but I see lots of posts about how to make things blink and I expect I'll be able to work through that, or at least ask over in a blinking thread instead of here!]

I can't for the life of me get the tiles to load in the attribute dropdown box. I have them all turned on from what I can see. I'm sure it's something fundamental. Screen Shots in Summary

Summary

This text will be hidden

Your "Current States" is empty, until there's data for the driver to process you won't see any "Attributes" in the dashboard.
Try clicking "pollData" and "refresh", if nothing shows up check your logs for errors.

Yes, you're right, I gave it time, came back and it was all there.

1 Like

Glad it's working for you. :smiley:

FYI: How to hide details when posting logs, long lists or screenshots

Click a gear, save a (scroll)wheel. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I edited that to hide the Screenshots!

Having a problem retrieving data from OW, this is a line from the logs...

2021-03-01 03:13:48.447 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 781 (refresh)

Is it something I am doing wrong?

thanks
Ian

I cannot replicate the error. Verify you on the most recent version ( v0.5.2). Restart you hub and report back if you continue to get an error.

Thanks Matthew for getting back to me so quickly. It looks line my account has exceeded the 1000 reqs/day. I have been doing some development creating my own weather map application (Windows) I guess I have blown my allotment! :frowning:

Thanks again

1 Like

So, I want to get notified of weather things; severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado warnings, flash flood warnings, maybe severe air quality warnings, that kind of thing. I've got the alerts driver in, I think I see the fields where alerts might appear. It looks like text, rather than those types (and the others) being clearly labeled in an enum-type structure?

So, the question is, what text matches should I be using for those? Weather has been fairly calm the week or so I've had this installed so my history isn't showing me examples. What's my approach for finding and identifying the strings I need? Are they standard, or regional, or at the discretion of the guy at the local office writing the alert? (I expect in a month or so I'll have more data; spring storms, etc. I'd kind of like to have some of it working before then really.)

Assuming you are in the USA the NOAA Weather Alerts app has built-in alert filtering options.

The following my alert RM using the OWM driver

This is NOT the driver for that kind of notification about alerts. While it does give an indication that an alert(s) exists, it is very limited and potentially incomplete in what it provides and could miss something you may consider important. It only reports the detals of the first alert listed. If there is more than one alert, it will tell you how many alerts there are, but it gives no details on what those alerts may be. Again it only give details on the first alert listed and there is no guarantee that that alert is the most server/important alert in all the alerts that may exist.

The driver provides a simplistic warning that an alert(s) exists, and if so provides a link for you to follow to get more details. It was never intended to provide details on multiple alerts or be used to provide notification on what those alerts may be about.

To be clear on how this may work ... if there are two alerts in your area and the first alert is a "High Wind Watch" and the second alert is a "Tornado Warning" then this driver will tell you there is a "High Wind Watch +1". It does not provide any information or details on anything other than the first alert. Your notification system would completely miss the Tornado Warning becuase this driver would never provide that detail for you to filter on.

I higly recommend you seek a driver that provides a much more robust system of alert detail reporting to accomplish what you are describing. This driver does not do that.

Got it. Yeah, clearly not designed to fill this role, so I hope I can find something that is (have seen some pointers at other things already). Thanks!

Looking at that...it seems to be all about driving text-to-speech devices? Which has nothing to do with my use case? I suppose if I end up having to write my own I could find useful examples of the front-end (getting data from NOAA) portion in this.

Hi @Matthew,
I would like to ask you for assistance why I'm getting "ultravioletIndex" value difference on Device -> Current State where is value 1.73 and in the webcore where I got value 1.
I already tried in webcore to define the value to be decimal or string but I'm still getting the value 1 instead of value 1.73.
What I'm doing wrong. Please help.

I don't think I can help. I do have several pistons in WebCoRE, but I am not a heavy user, and I don't use it for weather. Perhaps tag @nh.schottfam for assistance?

Can you post a screen shot of your piston?

edit: Iā€™m able to duplicate let me play a little with it.

For others - this issue is a data type problem

HE capabilities define this as an integer, not as a decimal. So this driver should change to match the types to the HE capabilities.

webCoRE uses the capabilities definitions for data types.

@thebearmay

Here is an example of piston: