Openhab to HE migration

Picked up a new HE while on sale last week to migrate off of Openhab. As of right now i have around 30+ z-wave devices that i will need to move over, plus varies timers, scenes and rules my family uses on a daily basis.

Im going to guess it will take me a while to rebuild everything on HE. Is there a way to start adding z-wave devices to HE and setting of rules without removing them from OpenHab?

I would really like to keep my old rules in place while migrating as a lot of them are geared towards my kids schedule and they have been programed to watch for these things.

Unfortunately no. Z-Wave devices can only be paired to a single primary controller. While building your z-wave mesh, I'd recommend that you especially read the Hubitat Documentation on how to build a robust Z-Wave mesh, linked to below. It will save you a lot of grief down the road.

How to build a solid Z-Wave mesh.

In a nutshell, put the hub in a central location as possible. Then pair all the repeaters, starting from the hub center and outward, lastly pair all the non-repeating devices. Rule machine makes it quick to build rules, once you get the hang of it.

Here's a simple rule example with conditions

1 Like

You could make virtual place holders for your Zwave devices to just get everything how you think it should be and then move a device and replace the virtual device with the real thing. Dunno if that helps at all or not.

2 Likes

This is an interesting idea, will need to test it out later today

There is a utility to swap out devices so if you have the device in multiple rules you don't need to do each rule independently you can just use the swap option.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.