On/Off Switch UK Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a switch that will just enable me to turn an existing ceiling light on and off that doesn't have a neutral wire? It's just to replace an existing wall switch and it doesn't have to have a rocker either, can be an inwall version.

Thanks

In the us I haven't seen any non neutral switches. You can use a dimmer instead that doesn't require a neutral (Lutron, Innovelli, Zooz, etc) . Sure it will ramp but really most people don't care.

Lutron makes a no-neutral switch in their Caseta line. Here’s the model number:

PD-5WS-DV

Here’s the relevant link from Lutron support.

Yes, that is the sort of thing! I was hoping for something I could put behind the existing socket as have a blanking plate and then a remote controlling other lights. My other option is just to replace the bulbs, thought this way may be cheaper though.

Perfect. Sonoff makes something you can use in the UK. Here’s the link:

2 Likes

Not available in the UK (also didn't know about that particular switch)

2 Likes

In the UK, Samotech are pretty good.
All no-neutral:
Switch with rocker
In-wall switch module
In-wall dimmer module

The modules don't need a wall switch so you can use a blanking plate. However; for manual override, WAF, and to avoid confusing any visiting luddites you can install a switch plate.
Click GridPro retractive switches are great for this. You buy the plates & switches individually and they come in a variety of finishes - great for WAF! It's been a while since I bought any but electrical2go.co.uk was the cheapest the last time I looked.

Before anyone suggests Shelly switch modules - their no-neutral switch module requires a bypass capacitor installed in the ceiling rose for low wattage loads. I really wasn't happy with how HOT it got - as in almost too hot to touch! Plus it STILL didn't like REALLY low wattage LED loads, causing some branded bulbs to fritz and remain on/flickering when the switch was off.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think that would do the trick. I'll order a few. Amazon actually has them for same day but at £18.99. Aliexpress are doing them for £11 something.

1 Like

These look good as well. Thanks so much.

2 Likes