Older Z-Wave stack vs. C7's new stack

Great, so any c5 fixes going to be done?

If I'm not mistaken I was under the impression the C5 and all prior versions were EOL with the release of the C7 because of the completely new Z-Wave stack...

Or am I completely wrong on this? I still only have a C3.....

1 Like

EOL vis-a-vis the z-wave stack. There'll still be new/updated z-wave drivers, zigbee drivers (and potential stack changes), and apps.

Edit - just my opinion.

2 Likes

This is where things are confusing to me and likely others. Will there be updates to hubs prior to C7 or not. Don't piece-meal out that there will be drivers for Zigbee and maybe Z-wave and there might be Zigbee stack updates but likely not Z-Wave because of the completely different stack.

The hub is a product. Either the product gets updates or it doesn't. As a developer I know it's painful to users when something goes EOL but it's worse to string them along with yeah.. maybe... someday... EOL a product and move on. Some won't like it, most won't care and they will all move on....

2 Likes

And had it lest than 12 months and its EOL

1 Like

Isn't there sufficient evidence for an answer already? There have been multiple platform updates for the C5 and C4/C3 since the C7 was released.

5 Likes

I don't see it as complicated.

• There will continue to be platform updates for all hubs.

• There will continue to be driver updates for all hubs.

• There may/may not be updates to radios/serial interfaces in hubs prior to C7 - it just depends on what the update is/what it would take to do it.

So I think you HAVE TO piece meal/be specific on the z radio infrastructure improvement questions, as there is very different infrastructure depending on the hub version.

10 Likes

I will agree with these guys. From what staff has said publicly, the C5 and earlier Zwave radio will get no improvements. I am not sure I can give you an exact quote, but I believe both Mike and Bruce have said this at various times.

They have never said anything about NOT updating any drivers, apps, or any other part of the hub. And just like Aaiyar mentioned above, they even gave us updates on many things in the past release even on the older hubs. So that to me is evidence that they are still doing development on older hubs.

I think it comes down to resources, whether that is time or money or whatever. If it costs $100,000 (totally made up number) to update the Z-wave radio on older hubs, would that make sense as a company? Would all of us pay $50 fee to Hubitat to get this update? They would either force us to pay to use the hub, or raise the price on new hubs by some amount to cover that cost. This isn't Microsoft where $100,000 is pocket change for Bill Gates.

Same on resources. Do you want all the company resources (remember they are a very small team) poured into just this Zwave radio update and forego any driver or app updates for months at a time? Everyone would be livid if that happened.

I would love if they could do endless updates on all hubs. But that isn't realistic for many reasons, a couple of which I outlined above.

5 Likes

Looking for a fix, the c7 issues and z-wave becoming unresponsive sound very similar to my c5 issues

I think it might be misleading to say the pre-C7 devices won't get any improvements. My guess is the pre-C7's have been find-tuned for the last 2+ years and don't need any improvements. I would expect the radio portion to be pretty well "complete" ** at this point. Vs the C7 which has a hardware/radio change that likely needs some time to get ironed out.
I also expect if a bug was found in the pre-C7 radio code it would be fixed.

** I realize in the engineer's mind nothing is ever "complete" and can always be tweaked. That is one of the reasons for validation, to get the engineers to stop tinkering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes.. Everything except the z-wave stack.. The old z-wave stack is the only thing that’s EOL

7 Likes

It thought this thread was about the C7 hub? Lol

11 Likes

I think we need to get this thread back on topic again guys.

6 Likes

Hey, what are you doing? DIdn't you notice the off track this thread has taken. Let's not confuse the issue with facts.

9 Likes

I sure am looking forward to 2.2.4.

And as for robberies, I have lots of guns if I'm home, and insurance if I'm not.

6 Likes

And my z-wave locks up around once a week but its a c5

1 Like