Older russound (rs232) control support

So everything that I have tested in webcore has worked without any further modification of the driver you suggested. Selecting zone, adjusting volume, zone on/off, volume up/down, mute...all work.

1 Like

You have a crash course in how to use your webcore code available that I can look at?

This works perfectly!
Device name is AAAA. I will change it later.

You can use code c6jk to copy this piston into your Hubitat webcore editor. Just change the "Unknown Device 1" to your Russound device and it should work from there. I am happy to assist further if needed.

Just click on "New Piston".

Click on "Restore a piston using a backup code". Use the code c6jk.

I think I'm officially confused at what you're doing with the webcore pistons that you couldn't do in RuleMachine. Is it just so you don't have to start from scratch in hubitat? Since I'm starting from scratch, I think it makes more sense to just write the rules in rule machine so that I'm all on my local network, right?

3 Likes

Essentially yes. I have a couple dozen pistons that control music around my house. Those pistons have been tweaked over the years so that they need very little maintenance these days. Not that learning RM would be difficult. It is very similar to webcore. And I do have a few tasks written in RM. It's just very easy to pull my ST pistons into HE. And they run locally!! And now that YOU found this driver, yippie! Now I can get rid of the middleman (RPi and ST proxy) that I was using before to control my Russound. All is well in my world today, thanks to you.

1 Like

just curious if you guys are controlling the russound multi room amps directly through tcp / ip or if you are using a change over to rs232? My original russound is rs232 only (cav 6.6). I have looked at tcp / 232 servers that listen for commands and convert to 232 just not sure if this progress would work on my setup?

Just TCP/IP. Not using RS232 . Things are very early in this discovery for me. I've been looking for months just to find the right method and syntax to send basic commands, but there is a pretty big lack of documentation on how to write drivers and I just stumbled upon this.

I did notice sending status requests works too (on/off, source, etc.), so it's not "one-way" communication.

2 Likes

I have been using redloro's ST Russound solution for more than 2 years and have been looking for a better solution for that entire time. I have been looking for a more direct method to make my Russound smart. Using a RPi, node.js and a ST node proxy worked, but was cumbersome and somewhat difficult to set up. Sending the RIO text commands over ethernet is amazingly simple and will probably breathe new life into my Russound.

I am finding that I need 4 seconds between zone instructions or one of the zone instructions do not get executed properly.

not to go off topic but have you looked at the homebridge driver? seems like it supports it right out of the box. I think there was some integration between homebridge and hubitat too

I haven't. Link?

So this is very cool - I played around with it quite a bit this morning. To my dismay, it doesn't support a 2 Controller setup at this point.

I presume that I have to install this on a RPi? If so, I already have that. I am trying to eliminate the "middleman" in my setup and control my Russound directly with HE.

@Bullfrog, any luck getting consistent results from the driver? Every command I use seems to work perfectly if I am controlling a single zone. I cannot repeatedly get more than one zone to turn on when trying to control multiple zones. HE logs record that the commands are issued correctly and I get the "S" response from the Russound for each command. But 1 of 2 zones generally does not turn on. I have tried inserting a wait to see if commands are going to the Russound too quickly. That does not seem to work repeatedly. I'm not sure what is happening.

I do not have any way of capturing the response from the Russound. The driver that we are using does not currently offer a way to do that. So, essentially, it is still a one-way situation for me. Yes, I can look at the driver in the app and get an idea of what is happening. But as of yet, I cannot use that information in my webcore pistons. And I don't know groovy or anything about writing/modifying a driver.

However, I have been able to use Echo Speaks and Webcore to satisfy all of my needs for controlling my AV/Russound system. So the WAF is creeping upward.

Just wanted to say hi @Pantheon! Nice to see you moved over as well from the ST forums. Following your work here, as I have the monoprice amp that the redloro node.js proxy also managed, and I need to get it all up and running again.

@mwquinn, Yes, I have moved almost everything from ST to Hubitat. To stay on topic....I use this driver. [quote="ottojj, post:30, topic:27968"]
I used this driver: Hubitat/SIP2IR Driver.groovy at master · bptworld/Hubitat · GitHub
[/quote]
It's not written for the Russound, but it does work MOST OF THE TIME. Maybe someone who knows more about Groovy and drivers can modify it. BUT, I am using webcore to control my Russound over IP and got rid of the RPi/redloro/RS232 system. I know that the Monoprice is a little different, but I'm happy to help you in any way that I can.