Older Kwikset Z-wave lock, batteries dying quickly on C7

I have an older (~9 years) Kwikset Smartcode Z-wave lock that has never given me trouble before. Since installing on a C7 several months ago, the batteries are dying within a few weeks, repeatedly. Nothing shows up in the logs or events other than normal stuff. Previously, when this was paired with a Vera 2, the batteries would last for many months. This makes me suspect that there's something about the interaction with the C7 that may be the problem. The devices are line of site with each other. I replaced the batteries 1-2 weeks ago and they're already down to 30%. The lock is usually only unlocked and locked via keypad in morning and afternoon.

The driver is Generic Z-Wave Lock. Controller type: ZWV. Data:

• deviceId: 1
  • deviceType: 1
  • inClusters: 0x72,0x86,0x98
  • manufacturer: 144
  • S2: 128
  • secureInClusters: 0x72,0x86,0x98,0x80,0x85,0x70,0x75,0x62,0x63,0x4E,0x4C,0x71,0x8B,0x20
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • zwNodeInfo: 52 DC 80 04 40 03 72 86 98 68 23 F1 00 72 86 98 80 85 5C 70 75 62 63 4E 4C 71 8B 20

Is there anything I can do about this problem? Thanks.

1 Like

I have dozens of locks on the hub and had a few kwikset act up like that before. I went into DEVICES, clicked on the lock i wanted and made sure the radio button for Enable Debug Logging and Enable description Text Logging were both off. This saved battery and reduced stress on the network.

I am a noob and not an expert. Hope this may help you!

ps. not sure why it's using S2 security. very slim chance anybody is going to sniff your code. you could also exclude the lock, factory reset and include it without S2 security.

Locks require security.

1 Like

ah, ya. you're right. my bad... can't do that! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like my default was "Enable debug logging" OFF and "Enable description Text logging" ON. I'm not real hopeful about it, but I'll try turning of the Text logging.

Do you have the same configuration of repeaters that you had on the previous hub?

Changing the debug and info logging settings does nothing to the battery life. That only affects how the hub side shows (or doesn't show) messages it receives from the device. It doesn't make the device send fewer messages.

1 Like

If you're referring to other Z-wave devices that repeat, then yes, all the AC powered devices remained in the same positions. The Z-Wave Network Graph shows a direct connection between the lock and the hub. Also, as I mentioned, there's direct line of sight between the hub and the lock.

And the Vera is powered off?

Yes

Excuse the n00b ?

I have the same Kwikset lock but Zigbee.

IMG_0823

Like the OP, the 914 is about 5 feet line of sight from the hub, and there is a repeater in the same room.

I didn’t see anything about security in the preferences using the ‘Generic Zigbee Lock’ driver.

How does a Zigbee lock with no security compare to a Z-Wave lock with security?

Is my home less secure because of this?

1 Like

Zigbee uses a different encryption method. No less secure.

1 Like