Old Homeseer HS-WD100+ Finally Failing?

I have a Homeseer HS-WD100+ that for some reason has taken to not turing off the lights fully when told to shut off recently. However, it's random. Sometimes it will, most of the time it leaves the lights (3 Phillips dimmable LED Bulb-type lights) on at like... 1% (like It is a non-LED dimmer and voltage bleed is sallowing them to power up). This WAS happening when I commanded the light off either through an automation, or using a voice assistant. When that happened, I used to just turn the light on manually, then off and it would go off. Now off/on doesn't always work and I'vve started using the air gap to shut it off at night.

I have a few questions -

1. is this symptomatic of the switch failing or something else? I haven't changed any wiring in my home, but I am in a condo, so someone I guess could have miswired a neutral, but the issue is only on this one switch.
  2. Is there a recommendation for (preferably) a Zigbee switch that supports multi-tap or do all switches I buy now support that? If there's a ZWave+ Switch, I'll take that, too. I haven't had to buy a new switch in a long time (because of Jasco's awesome warantee replacement!). Most of my home is Zigbee/ZWave, but I can't seem to find an adequate scene capable switch that is on either protocol anymore... almost everything I search for is WiFi and even though I have a Kasa Smart Power strip that works flawlessly, I don't really want in-wall WiFi stuff if I can help it.

I was going to try updating the Homeseer switch's firmware, but HS says the firmware is encrypted and needs the homeseer Firmware loader to update the switch. I have a Zwave stick, but don't want to pull that out of my automations, so I'll replace it, then update it once I have it swapped out to the new switch.

Thanks for any input on this.

The HS-WX300 looks nearly identical (I think...I forget what the 100 you have looks like, but it's about the same as the 200). So, if you're happy with everything else about this one, it would be a logical replacement.

Otherwise, Zooz and Inovelli are two I can think of that would also meet your needs. Inovelli has both Zigbee (Blue Series) and Z-Wave (Red Series) versions availalbe, and they have a HomeSeer-esque LED bar (just a bit different), whereas Zooz is Z-Wave only and generally not as full-featured but usually cheaper and certainly adequeate if you're just looking for a switch or dimmer. Some Jasco/GE model also support multi-taps, but I don't know which or how to tell unless they tell you (they used to practically keep this a secret for some reason).

That I don't know. I haven't heard of devices failing in this way (normally it's a more complete failure, sometimes accompanied by a click with the old GE/Jasco ones), but I suppose you could rule out a configuration problem by doing a factory reset on the device and seeing if the problem persists (be careful hoe you handle this on the hub--ask if you need help), as well as making sure it's still wired correctly (e.g., your neutral didn't fall out or something--though that would probably just cause a total loss of power on this model). The HomeSeer forums might have more users with this device who may have reports of what happened as it gets old enough to fail, but I haven't seen anyone specifically mention this behavior here, at least.

This is a low probability suggestion. You should check the wiring in the wall box. Thought is a missing or loose neutral could act like this.

I have a HS-WD200+ i'm not using if your interested in replacing your switch.

John

Thanks for these suggestions. I don't use the LED bar on the homeseer here. Just the dimmer and double-click functionality. I'll probably end up with the Innovelli based on your suggestion, since I already have some anyhow.

Wiring on the switch is fine and was one of the first things I checked (along with looking to see if there is physical sensitivity setting on the switch case) .

Thanks, that's super nice of you, but I'll probably end up with Innovelli to replace this as a few of my other switches are inovelli already.

Sorry for the obtuse question but what do you consider a "scene-capable" switch?

No problem. Being able to trigger something other than lights on/off/dim with multiple taps. A switch that behaves as a button when multi-tapped.

I understand, its always nice to keep things consistant.

Just an update. I replaced it with Inovelli Blue and the light goes off now. I assume a resistor or something in the Homeseer switch was going bad.

Thanks to everyone for the input and to @bertabcd1234 for the Inovellie Blue suggestion. So many things to customize! I may end up replacing all my Homeseer switches with these!

1 Like

If your Homeseer dimmers (with the 7 LEDS) need a new home, I would put them to good use.