Ok who has automated turning on their Keurig?

Did a quick search on here and 3 topics even mention it. One was about automating the water supply and one just mentioned it. The other @ogiewon was WOW and more than I want to get into.

I really need something simple to automate "pushing the button" for those that don't have one simply supplying power to it does not turn it on. You must push a button. Ideally I'd find an inexpensive zigbee device that can close two dry contacts (relay/etc). Then I could hard wire it in.

Has anyone done this?

1 Like

I have not done it, but my keurig has a timer on it to turn on and off. There is a little device, I think, called the cube. (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but it's a button pusher. Literally. I'm not sure that it's 100% compatible with HE, but there was some banter here some months ago.

@ogiewon don't think I didn't think about it for a bit...and look into the Arduino route (I've never used one)... I did think of possibly one addition...some kind of pressure sensor to make sure there is a mug underneath it! However...great process flow.

Just to make sure this thread contains many different ways to do this:

1 Like

Something like this, @april.brandt?

https://microbot.is/push/

1 Like

There are also options like

switch-bot. But I can't say how well integration is or even if they have an api for it.

And I also think this might be a task for the Fibaro smart implant. This may require a bit of soldering to the existing swtich but can be a clean integration if done right.

1 Like

Throwing my simplistic hat into the ring. If "turning on" means starting the water heating, then it already works with a smart switch (at least on my model).

I have a K-Elite. I connected the power to a smart switch a year ago. Turned on the Keurig power. Now, when I turn the smart switch off at noon and then back on when I wake, the power state is on and the water is hot by the time I get to the kitchen. Only disadvantage - the clock is not correct - but I did not care since I control it through Hubitat (and the smart switch).

Again, not certain this is what you mean. Looking (again) at the Keurig site, there were no wifi makers in the home market.

There are multiple Keurig models where you have to physically press the power switch before it will start heating.

1 Like

I wish... if you turn mine on, and then uplug it..when you plug it back in...it's off.

yes this...

This looks exactly like what I want...more than I wanted to spend...but I'm reading the manual now.

I just bought a new Keurig that had an ON timer. I have enough 'projects' already.

2 Likes

@gavincampbell THIS

1 Like

I want to mark this as the solution so bad...but at $170 when mine works....and I really don't use any of the other features already.... but I do hear you...I'm sure by the time I invest my time into this it's going to be over $170

There has got to be a simple/cheap way to do this.

EDIT: Too bad the $170 version didn't already have some smarts built in.

This is a cheaper device that does the same thing. Just not as nicely integrated and kind of overkill for what you are trying to accomplish.

Or you can hack together your own relay solution similar to how some handle the garage door openers. I think it would be more expensive then the zen16 as you would need to buy a smart switch and a relay and some cable.

2 Likes

I might just go that way if nothing cleaner pops up. I have a couple zigbee on/off controllers that control AC line voltage. I could always stack a relay on one of those. Was hoping to find basically that but as an isolated relay.

Oddly I was looking at the ZEN16 for my air compressor in the garage....unfortunately my air compressor and keurig are not in close proximity to each other. :joy:

This. I think we paid $99 at costco for our last one that has a timer, altitude adjustments for temp, different size cups, strength,

Even when the preheat times out, it takes just seconds for it to run after hitting the power button.

Wondering about this for a long time but never pulled the trigger. If you’re willing to take it apart and don’t care for the clock, I’d just circumvent the push button altogether by wiring them together so it’s “always on.” Then I’d just use a simple smart plug to turn it on and off. This short of buying a new Keurig. However, I don’t know how easy it is to disassemble.