Oh Hubitat - you've spoiled me rotten!

Was this specific to a tile you have on an active dashboard you use often or just the presence of it on any dashboard can/will cause performance issues?

1 Like

This. So I had removed a bunch of zigbee lights and had forgotten/omitted to remove one of them (out of 7) from a dashboard. Wasn't even a dashboard I used very frequently.

2 Likes

Interesting, and support said that will cause slow down?
Hmm, I wonder why. Makes me worried about my dashboards and what I should do (if anything) to make them faster.

1 Like

I haven't read all his thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already but it is good practice to only select the devices you want to appear on a dashboard. Do not select all devices when setting up the dashboard.
This means when you select a dashboard it only has to recover data from the selected devices (maybe 10, depends obviously) not 300. (If you have that many).
Just thought I'd mention it if you were not aware.

5 Likes

That's awesome. Thank you.
I assume that just helps an individual dashboard load correct, not the list of dashboards page?
E.g. I'm thinking of doing this for the dashboards I actively use, but not ones like "batteries, etc." which I check once a month as pure status.

1 Like

I believe it calls for the data on all the defined devices for the dashboard you open but it will then refresh (if using defaults) every 2 seconds when on local lan or 5 seconds when accessing via the cloud. So if you have selected all devices you may encounter a delay and heavy traffic on your hub.

I don't think it would cause issues if you are looking that infrequently.
What I have done for this is use @bptworld's device watchdog for showing a report on a dashboard. This may be a better choice unless you want to see all battery levels.

1 Like

True story:

I switched to HE a few weeks ago because of my master bathroom.

I put an Inovelli dimmer in my bathroom for 3 reasons:

1. Night-light (light switch is not "right" next to the door so in the dark can be hard to find)
  2. Status Light (plan to have some some)
  3. I wanted to be able to have
    •     Tap  up = full brightness

•     Double Tap Up = Medium

•     Double Tap Down = VERY dim for middle of the night

Long story short, on ST, even a basic thing like "always go full brightness on tap-Up" is cloud based. So walking into the bathroom it might take 2-3 seconds for the light to come on. I was annoyed but my wife HATED it. I feel like she was close to demanding I rip out all my smart switches. (cause there was a similar problem in the basement where the ceiling lights are on 2 circuits so I added automation to turn them both on together)

At first I tried to rig things in ST to be local execution, but with an Inovelli then you lose the status-light stuff by switching to a basic driver.

A couple days research and I found HE. I LOVE IT and will never look back. Local execution is where it's at!

9 Likes

:point_up_2: He gets it ..

For me it was the cloud slowness and the constant cloud outages that made my “smart” house a “dumb” house.. and then when the cloud came back online lights would be going on and off and door chime would go off several times as the cloud caught up to the cached activities

7 Likes

Quote from the one who sets the WAF on ST “fcking smart house my a$$”

the WAF has improved since transitioning to HE.. She is even requesting more automations now

7 Likes

Mine actually started using the wall mounted pico for our den lights... has softened her stance a little on that "weird looking switch". Of course it helps when the regular toggle switch controlling the same set of lights right next to it responds 4-10 seconds after flipping.

3 Likes