Official stance on memory and hub slow down?

I wasnā€™t referring to BSODā€™s, I was referring to apps etc inexplicably slowing down and acting up.

Microsoft has done a good job protecting the kernel since w2k3, itā€™s just all the other components that arenā€™t as well behaved.

Possibly. I haven't owned a Windows computer in about 20 years, but at about the same time I purchased an iBook for ~$1000, I purchased an HP laptop for about the same price. I don't remember what version of Windows it ran (I think Windows XP?), but I can recall at least one BSOD a week, while the iBook just ran. The only thing I used the HP for was to run a statistics package - SPSS, so could have also been the software I guess.

3 Likes

Weā€™re like twins, except I have a Ryzen powered laptop. I have built my own desktops since the 90s, so Iā€™ve always used windows. My always on pc that runs Homebridge is on Windows 10 home. It only gets rebooted for updates and has been super reliable. Maybe because itā€™s a barebones system; integrated graphics (skylake), one SSD, 2 sticks of ram, thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

I run an i5-based Win10 'Home Server', with 16GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD (OS), and 3 x 8TB drives for storage. I run Homebridge, Node-RED, InfluxDB, Grafana, Channels DVR, and Plex Media Server on it 24x7 with no issues whatsoever. I have disabled the automatic patching and rebooting to prevent any interruptions to OTA DVR recording and media content streaming throughout the house. This has been working great for years now. I only reboot it about once a year when I patch it manually.

3 Likes

There was a change of how memory was displayed in the last couple 2.3.1 releases. You can't compare older versions to the current version memory stats. The release notes have at least a couple references to things that affect memory and memory reporting. Release 2.3.1 available

The free memory metric in 2.3.1.142 better reflects the state of affairs, but it is different from pre-2.3.1 and even different from early 2.3.1 public releases.

This also means that the "reboot hub when free memory goes below 250" approach is no longer applicable. You can let it run all the way until the "low memory" alert pops up at 80m.

9 Likes

I'm a bit like you. Ipad, iphone (because they just work) but for my main PC I use a Dell XPS 13 and a WD19s docking station. It stays up for weeks (even bouncing from sleep mode which is usually trash on most systems). I reboot for the occasional update is about it.

1 Like

Oh very good with that threshold thanks. I have mine set way to high right now, will adjust.

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you.

I just dialed mine down to 100k for both hubs, should be interesting to see how it goes.

Great to know. Thanks for the info. Will adjust my reboot threshold as well (more conservatively tho at 125,000kb).

1 Like

HOLY :poop:!! I havenā€™t seen mine drop below 270; and when it dropped to that level it caused me anxiety (no noticeable problems with the hub, just with me). I set my warning to 250, which is down from 290. Just a little gun shy from prior experience.

1 Like

My main C7 is down to 295k and still working well - I set the reboot threshold to 100k just to see what happens.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 3.58.29 pm

1 Like

Mine usually take a week to drop that low, and then seem to plateau around 280-290, but Iā€™ve been playing around with things lately and rebooting more frequently because of it, so Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s still true.

My Primary C7 does all the heavy lifting in my house, my Secondary C7 only runs cloud integrations and it runs for a lot longer in-between reboots.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 4.13.41 pm

Iā€™ve tried to keep my 2 pretty evenly stressed. My database sizes are small due to decreasing event and state history size as much as possible, as well as event/state days. I also donā€™t use Maker api. I have over 200 devices on each hub.

I still have a few cloud integrations that I've been too lazy to move over - plus my main C7 handles both zigbee and z-wave, plus 98% of my automation.

I understand. Itā€™s been a few years since I added the second hub and redoing automations is tedious work.

2 Likes

The recently(?) added feature of export/import has really helped me in moving automations from one hub to another. Especially if all your devices will have the same names, it's easy peasy.

2 Likes

So nearly 5 days has passed since my last reboot and the hub is still running well,. Even tho free ram is down to 263k.

:+1:

I noticed there is a new ā€œSwap Apps Deviceā€ option in settings which should make this even easier.

2 Likes