Off-topic rant about security

Mine did a LOT better on the earlier 2.2.4 betas--then some odd things started happening around the .135ish number. From then on, some things were fixed, but there were rather random issues (where things would work great one time; horribly the next).

.142 seems to have cause a lot of issues for some folks posting. Gonna give that some time to chill.

Only issue I've seen on .142 is some java error being thrown for one of @bptworld drivers for Life360. I haven't bothered to look into it yet though.

You're braver than me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah it takes nothing to roll back... Just take a backup and download it in case you need it.

2 Likes

HE have pulled .142. So it will be replaced by another update. I've rolled back to .141 as I had devices reporting null, and generally didn't want to wait around for something else to happen. :slight_smile: Other folks had issues w/RM going south on .142.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I just replaced my two year old BE469NZ non plus with an Alfred DB2-B and could not be happier.

The Schlage was working but since moving to the C7 would decide to stop talking or route through the ring S2 repeater at the back of the house instead of one of the two closer to it. I just got tired with the maintenance. The last time it went AWOL it took me two days to get it reliable again.

Never heard of that company before. Interesting.

In any case, i gotta wonder what the deal is. The Schlage locks worked flawlessly with my 10 year old ADT Pulse system. I can't understand why they'd become such pills now.

@diySmartHomeGuy did a review and April (who is no longer here) did a review.

Love my Schlage on HE... Clearly a YMMV situation.

4 Likes

I think I was simply having issues on C7 due to it being non-plus and being paired with S0.

On C5 for almost 18 months it could be a little slow to respond but I only had to pop the battery twice for 30 seconds to get it back online.

I did check on eBay for upgrade options but I couldn’t find anything and since it’s my front door lock I wasn’t willing to wait and search another day. So I made the jump now just to make my life easier.

Yep same issue - non-S2 devices get set to max security by default. This is per spec I think. I use a Z-stick as a secondary controller to pair mine as unauthenticated.

1 Like

@erktrek Eric, would you mind explainig this process to me? You created a secondary controller using a Z-Stick how? And then you joined the device by placing it behind the secondary controller? I've got some issues with Fibaro FGMS-001 that join as a 'Device' but always join secure (which I don't want).

Thanks. P

Sure! Including a device does not join it to the secondary controller but to the primary one. You will not be able to include S2 devices. You need a Z-Stick or equivalent and the Z-Wave PC Controller Software by SiLabs (you have to create a free account).

@sebastien posted some instructions about converting over here:

In my case I just made sure the device was removed from the hub (fibaro key fob FGKF-601ZW5) and then like in his instructions put the hub into inclusion mode then used "Add" (although I think I used "NWI") then put the device into pairing mode. Wait a bit and it should add, if not hit the "abort" and either try again or sometimes it will add the device - you can see this by looking at the last entry on the device column on the left. On the hub side it becomes a little more fuzzy - sometimes I go into inclusion mode to see if anything pops up. Also reboot and see what comes up. If you don't see your device then go to the Z-Wave details page and at the bottom should be an undefined device, hit repair/refresh/discover a few times then reboot - you can watch the logs. Takes some combination of the above but your device should appear... if all else fails try again.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Great. Thanks. I'll give it a try later. I've also pinged sport with the situation, if they offer anything else up I'll post here, appreciate the response.

1 Like

My understanding is that pairing non-S2 devices as S0 is per the 700 series spec. It's weird though that you can include S2 devices with no security why not non-S2?

This is a real issue though especially for people not inclined to set up a secondary controller and pair things that way. They will end up with a bunch of chatty devices that some may or may not respond properly.

I need to figure it out. I don't think my repeaters are capable of relaying the traffic, They (the FGMS-001) work when sat near the hub but if I move them beyond some of my z-wave sockets they stop working. What's confusing me is that somehow at least one of 5 of this devices has joined in a non-secure way?????

Probably the non-secured one has an incorrect pairing would exclude and try again. When I originally paired my Fibaro Key Fob to the Hub it paired as S0 and was not responsive. After finally getting it paired unsecured works great.

You might do the exclude then shutdown the hub, pull the plug temporarily then start it back up again and try the include. I would also consider just excluding all of them and adding them back in via the secondary controller (do the shutdown thing after exclusion!).

Has anybody seen this...?

Finally broke my Day 1 C7 out of it's shipping envelope, updated the software and the ZW firmware, and attempted to include my first 700-series device via Smartstart. Only, after taking the picture of the QR code, the app (ios) simply returned me to a blank Smartstart page and never filled any of the details in. Two devices included properly via S2 using the traditional inclusion methods, but was curious if anyone knew why Smartstart wouldn't work for me. TIA!

I encountered similar issues on Friday migrating from a C4 > C7. I made sure both hubs were running the latest release (2.2.4.148), and spent about 4 hours trying to get anything to pair/work. It didn't seem to matter what the device was or how I attempted to connect it (smartstart or not).

After spending WAY too much time troubleshooting I finally realized it was like an issue with the release. I tried reverting to 2.2.4.141 and magically everything started working. Every device giving me trouble pairing adopted normally in seconds.

The best I can tell there was a bug introduced somewhere between those two versions. I've been meaning to reach out to support about it, but it's taken me a few days to get things mostly functional. I was originally trying to use @bravenel technique of editing the DNIs, but after a few hours fighting adopted the torch it all approach.

I'm going to take the ~2 days of rebuilding automations as a sign I might have a slight problem...

I've seen some weird pairing behavior on these releases as well. I bought a Zooz double plug and the thing never stopped "initializing" before the Zwave inclusion time ended. Fortunately, one of those times did result in the device being added and it seems to mostly work. I saw the same with the Aeotec Range Extender 7 but this time it created a Ghost node, which fortunately was easy to remove with a simple exclusion. I haven't tried to add it back yet.

Also, while my Zwave devices and automations mostly work, I still see occasions where a device just suddenly stops working. It seems to fix itself later, but it is pretty annoying. I'm on .148 as well.

1 Like