Off-topic rant about security

There's a system app you can add to do polling, by selecting the desired devices (only the "old" ones appear in the selection list).

You can also do polling through Rule Manager Apps.

Or, you can upgrade things to Z-Wave Plus and not need to. :slight_smile:

I have an Aeotec series 7 contact sensor that is "SmartStart" enabled, but for the life of me it will NOT include. I scan the barcode on the sensor, quickly triple press the tamper switch, and the red light will blink. But my HE C7 will not include it. I've tried exclude mode, triple press the button, and then re-include. I also tried the 'old fashion' vanilla include mode, and still nothing.

I have 5 more of the same sensor that worked fine. The difference with this one is that I powered on the sensor BEFORE I scanned the barcode. Somehow, I think, that seems to have thrown a wrench in the works.

Ideas? I looked at the "All" logs and it doesn't show anything useful for this problem.

are you trying to do it near the hub? Does the hub sense the exclusion.. Also try unpowering repowering and and and then try exclusion. Also see if you can do a the device reset..
Aeon devices usually reset by holding the include button for more than 30 secs.. lights will start flashing slower then faster and if colored change color and then when solid on it is reset.

1 Like

@bcopeland @bobbyD any luck finding what's wrong with the smart implant? Thanks

My most recent experience migrating my basement Z-Wave devices from a C-4 to C-7:

1. Excluded/Included an MS6 with no issues (no security)
  2. Excluded/Included an Inovelli 4-in-1 sensor with no issues. Paired with no security.
  3. Excluded another Inovelli 4-in-1 sensor and it failed inclusion.
  4. Tried including another Inovelli 4-in-1 in case the other one was out of range (although it worked with C-4) - failed.
  5. Rebooted, tried again but no luck. Getting network busy messages and it looks like my Z-Wave mesh at least from the Z-wave details page is now unstable. Have a single ghost device (assume it was the first 4-in-1) that does not respond to repair/discover/refresh etc.
  6. Tried unplugging the 2 Inovelli devices and rebooting, no go.
  7. Tried pairing a Z-stick, did not work. Tried pairing a UZB-7 stick did not work.
  8. Remembered @JasonJoel's trick - Shut down hub and pulled the plug and waited a bit. After startup was able to pair the UZB-7 (showed up as dimmer)
  9. Removed 2 ghost devices via PC Controller sw - one was showing on the HE Zw details page and the other was not. Note: I had unplugged both so the "Is Failed" check would work.
  10. Left the UZB-7 paired just in case, Was able to pair both Inovelli 4-in-1 sensors with no issue (no security) without the shutdown trick.
  11. Also excluded/included an Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 5 (no security).

As a guess leaving the UZB-7 in likely helped with signal repeating which is why the rest of the inclusions went well.

4 Likes

Good experience info, thanks.

That, and the recalcitrant devices were a little scared since the sheriff was still in town. :wink:

3 Likes

Have you updated the firmware on the Inovelli stuff? They had a new firmware for the red 31 dimmer that made my inclusion error free even with security.

I updated a little while ago but not recently. I'm not 100% sure it was an Inovelli issue but maybe could have been - all of them have now paired fine. I suspect it was a range thing + firmware quirks but not sure.

I’ve been having zwave issues for several days now. Today, one of my devices which has been working flawlessly is in failed status (it’s a powered, in-wall relay less than 20 ft from the hub). I just got my USB stick today so hopefully removing the one ghost device I have will fix the issue since it just won’t remove using the β€œRemove” option in the GUI.

1 Like

You have the steps? (Or already know how?)

Ghost Removal

1 Like

This might be a less than ideal post for this because this post is discussing "inclusion" errors--your post might get more useful feedback either as a new post or in one more closely associated with your concerns and issues.

Yes, thanks, you gave them to me in another thread. I hope to get this done soon.

1 Like

Sorry - everyone looks alike here. :wink:

1 Like

All of us...

4 Likes
  1. HE Include (1st try after lock reset) result: FE599 blinks Green ~6 times. HE = Found Z-Wave Device with id 0B... Initializing. However the HE still just hangs in Initializing state.

I am encountering the same issue, FE599 an inch from C7 hub running 2.2.4. Get to the "initializing" step but nothing happens after that. I have to restart the hub (safe shutdown, unplug 30 secs) then exclude then the same thing happens again when I try to re-pair it (I have done it at least 15 times now)...tried new batteries too and that didn't help. While in the intizilating step I have gone to the z-wave devices page and it is at the bottom. I've tried hitting discover and waiting, that doesn't seem to help; same with repair and refresh.

See logs below:

Do you have a **Z-Stick? If so you might try including it on the hub as a secondary controller and then trying to include the lock that way. I was able to pair my Aeotec Recessed door sensor 6 doing this. Not sure how it would work with S0 security but might be worth a shot. The Z-stick is also good for excluding devices remotely.

** I apologize - I know this seems to be a repeating answer on these forums.. but Z-Sticks and UZB's are really darn useful especially when things go sideways.

I have the zwave.me USB stick. A few days ago I was able to successfully pair it using the USB stick as a secondary controller. Once paired the lock was not responsive in hubitat and the last activity parameter remained at the time that it was paired. Since then I've been under the impression that you can't pair S0 using the USB stick and that the lock needs S0 to function properly (hence why it may not have been responding?). So I abandoned that approach and instead went for the direct approach direct to the hub

1 Like

Ah okay - I knew you couldn't do that with S2 security wasn't sure about S0.

I'm not sure either :joy: I know its S0 and/or S2 that the USB can't pair with...but I figured the safest route was direct to hub, eliminate more potential confounding variables since the lock stuff seems to be really touchy

1 Like

How long do you wait on the Initializing step on the dicover page? I've had devices pop in up to two to three minutes after that initial Initializing message appears. Maybe try setting a four minute timer next time?

Also, when you get into the state below, how many times do you bang on the Discover, Refresh, and Repair buttons?

I ask because I've had devices in that state and had to hit the buttons (all of them!) 8 to 10 times or more before things changed and the device was discovered.

Also have found that just rebooting when a device is stuck like that sometimes allows it to complete the join process but sounds like that didn't work for you.

Just to be in the safest possible position, the next time you try to included it, I would exclude it again first. You can do that, excluding devices that aren't included is a normal action and ensures clears the Z-Wave deets on the device are cleared.