Off-topic rant about security

That's not a good thing. Voltage doesn't kill you it's the amps and the 2 are directly linked. The more voltage the less amps it takes to run something. It's also the amps that decides the cable size. So in America the cable is bigger and the risk of death from a mistake is higher. This is why your washing machines are like 30-50 amps and ours are 10-13.

Also why to get the power around the country, it's uped to (in UK) 11kv this means the amps are small and the cable are smaller (cheaper). So it makes it very efficient to transport, obviously 11000 volts though you though would cook you like a chicken :rofl::chicken:

5 Likes

Not quite. Lethal current is between 100 and 200 ma. The first lab session that all EE freshman at MIT had to take 52 years ago had warnings about fatal currents and proper lab practices.

The Fatal Current

It's why I always work on higher voltage electrical circuits with my left hand in my pocket until after I have tested the circuit to make sure it's dead, so current won't flow through my heart to my feet.

5 Likes

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. The worst thing this world ever did was to try and remove Darwin's weeding of gene pool...... LOL

If you enjoy a few good stories about people "Darwining" themselves out of the pool...this is actually sold at the Grand Canyon gift shop.

4 Likes

That book cover made me :rofl:

Dead body, colliding planes...and a beautiful rainbow!

1 Like

I don't particularly enjoy those stories........ But, after things I have witnessed "trained professionals" do on the job, it doesn't surprise.....

From the entertainment side of it, look up the movie "Idiocracy"

1 Like

My dad was a pilot for TWA (1951-1986). I heard about the TWA Connie and United plane crashing there. At least that wasn't intentional stupidity.

But, it seems there are plenty of cases where tourists don't use adequate common sense around the Grand Canyon ("hang on a sec, if I can just get a bit closer to the edge, it will look perfect on the gram... Just one more...AHHHHHhhhhhhhh........ * (splat)"). Bummer.

Workplace and most "grown-up" electrical altercations seem to come from the "I've done this a million times, I don't need to waste my time on that nonsense, it ain't killed me yet."

(I think Joey and Sally got us off the topic. Lol)

2 Likes

One day I was at the Grand Canyon thinking about home automation...

3 Likes

That's more like it. :rofl::rofl:

I actually am on vacation. And I made sure I had my VPN connection working and a campground with good 4G LTE service so I could work on my automation.

You might be a nerd if... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Code in my state requires safety outlets which have a plastic part over the plug parts. The plastic will not open unless equal pressure is applied to all prongs on the outlet preventing kids from jamming things into them.

1 Like

Baby lines.... :wink: In New Zealand 11 kV is only used for short distance distribution lines. Heck, I work at a sea port and we have 11kV lines inside the port. The transmission lines running throughout the country carry 220kV. (It’s probably similar in the UK)

Yes, a tiny current can kill, the point I was making is it's not the low voltages that we are talking about here that's the problem. It's the current and the high current still kills and damages.

Yes I was just giving a example, it's the same here the main backbone is much higher like yours. 11kv is used to the local sub main before taped down to 415/230 (although they tap it higher that 415/230).

Ahhh...the argument of the ages.

Drove me CRAZY when I lived in the UK. Forever fighting with my habits and light switches. UP is ON dammit.

I absolutely hated those over-engineered plugs. The funniest thing to me, was you plugged them into a 10 Amp circuit (or whatever), but often the plug had a 3 Amp fuse in it. Interestingly, when I first got to the UK, most small electrical devices came without plugs, just a pigtail with bare leads. Probably because most small electrical devices were imported form countries that didn't use UK style plugs, but I always thought it strange that someone designs and builds a plug that looks like it could carry 50 Amps+, with a ton of Plastic and Metal, and a separate fuse, all to make it "Safe", and then the government lets any moron with a sub A-Level education from a village that was only electrified last week, install it onto their own device!

Having said all that, I really liked the switches on the outlets (even if they were upside down), and when you actually got a plug in a socket, it certainly wasn't going to fall out!

S.

3 Likes

Only in North America, in every other continent on earth down = on.

It’s a bit like Australia and the UK driving on the “wrong” side of the road - we are the minority. (I’d happily switch too)

PS switched outlets are very useful.

1 Like

Almost certainly true. I can't recall what they were in Africa, Japan or Mainland Europe & the Middle east. But my typical experiences were hotels and US military bases when I was in those places...so who knows? In some of the middle east countries it's a crap shoot anyway, they have UK plugs and light switches in some buildings, and some other design (US, other) in other buildings...seems like no rhyme nor reason...lol

Regarding driving, funnily enough, my time in the UK & Japan has lent me a lot of value in terms of driving. Until a couple of years ago, even though I'm American, I'd driven on the "wrong" side of the road as much (more) as on the "right" side of the road. It makes it really convenient when I travel to Ireland or the UK on holiday. I actually got used to that much faster than I ever got used to the light switches. LOL

Interestingly the first car I ever bought for myself (a 1978 Toyota Corona MkII (Sold as a Cressida in the US) was right hand drive, and had mirrors on the hood. Japan also drives on the "wrong" side of the road...(must be something about Island countries).

These days I'm much less concerned about up/down = on. Digitally it's just a bit flip right? LOL

S.

1 Like

I have a C7 and I'm having trouble getting a Fibaro Smart Implant to report states automatically, I can only get them using manual refresh.
Does it make a difference if I use S2, S0 or none while pairing in regards to the state updates?

I hired a Charger RT for my business trip to Santa Barbara last year and drove it down from LAX. That was my first time driving a LHD car and it was great fun. 4 way stops were the only item I found a bit daunting.

Charger's are GREAT cars. Similar to a 2016 ish Holden Monero in terms of size and horsepower/performance (I think that's what it was...sold here briefly as a GTO) but a little bigger and probably a bit heavier...

I just traded my 16 Charger (the red one in my profile pic) for a 20 Widebody.

Google Photos

The red one was arguably my mid-life crisis car, the blue one...well...another crisis?

LOL

Notably, the new one has no appreciable Zwave inclusion issues with the C7 hub.

S.

3 Likes

Nice!!!! :heart_eyes:

I bet it doesnt have any issues being included into your C7! :rofl:

1 Like

Me thinks we have wandered far off the C-7 Z-Wave Inclusions Issues path.

3 Likes