Off-topic rant about security

Aeotec Range Extender 7? I would just pair it insecurely (uncheck all the boxes). Yes, it supports S2, but there's not much value to that on a repeater.

Can Securely included devices still use the mesh to communicate if most of the devices are included sans security?

Yes. There are some limitations on secure to non-secure direct associations (aka devices talking straight to another device instead of vioa the hub). But if you aren't using direct association (you would know if you were) then it's fine.

1 Like

I managed to get my Aeotec Range Extender 7s to pair--but, dang, they almost always bomb out on from any "repair" function. The Ring Gen2 Extender, on the other hand, quietly and successfully has been performing the rebuild every time.

Not sure if excluding/re-including them after this all sorts out will help or not. But I'm concerned that they aren't doing me much good since they don't seem to want to be part of the mesh.

I've had nothing but trouble when i tried to include it with the boxes unchecked. Zwave seemed less stable when it was in. I disconnected it, put a S2 plus wall outlet in the path and strengthened my mesh that way. Once they get the new update out i'll do another try -but i'm fine for now.

Does the Range Extender 7 have any direct association capabilities? Other than acting as a frame repeater, the only thing I know of is range test, which uses non encrypted power test frames.

1 Like

I've also had issues with the C-7 and the Range Extender 7s in repair. However, before passing any judgements, I would test with the 2.2.3 release. I did not have any issues with them and my C-5.

1 Like

Don't say that like 2.2.3 is already released...myheart skipped a beat and my bowels clenched. :wink:

2 Likes

Apologies. I know what you mean though... I scanned your post alert and saw "2.2.3" and "released". I couldn't reach for the keyboard fast enough. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eeeew!! LOL!

1 Like

I tried a few times last night with a door contact sensor and, sadly, didn't have as much good luck as you. :frowning:

The tension is palpable...

2 Likes

I'm palping mine right now. Update frenzy. :wink::grin:

Admit it, you hit that check for update button at least once today... :rofl:

2 Likes

Not breaking the cellophane wrapper on the C7 box until 2.2.3 is released. I do need it to set up a new home in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

@bcopeland Any ETA on the inclusion issue fix?

Stay tuned

5 Likes

@bcopeland Nobody's rushing you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sometime today, hopefully within the next few hours, we're waiting on the last engineer to chime in...

6 Likes

Thanks @mike.maxwell!

1 Like