Off-topic rant about security

And, I've got a Ring Gen2 Extender specifically to help me know about power outages.

But, thus far, I'm not seeing any of my range extenders being used in routes--with the regular switches being used instead.

I was putting the Aeotec RE7 gizmos on my UPSs.

1 Like

With the new repair in 145.. I would let it do a full repair.. It has a few more tricks now.. Might take a little while for them to become preferred routes.. But Iā€™d bet they start getting used soon.

6 Likes

Under versions 2.2.3.144 and 2.2.3.145, and now that firmware version 1.48 is out, I have endeavored to move all 20 of my LZW31-SN switches over to S2, following firmware upgrades. All firmwares are now updated. I have been using SmartStart on the Hubitat Android app for all of them.

I got through 17 switches, successfully working around various issues, but my most recent switch has been quite problematic and has now resulted in a ghost node I cannot remove via any means and the avalanche of "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message." log lines.

This switch in particular reports (and reported, before I started screwing with it this time around) crappy connectivity (9.6 kbps) through 4 utterly inexplicable hops. However, the status report is "OK":

I have attempted the following:

• Every conceivable combination of pressing Discover, Refresh, Remove, and Repair on the node.
  • Warm / cold reboots of the hub, in combination with the previous bullet.
  • Using the secondary PC Controller to Remove the node. (Times out despite triggering exclude mode on the device)
  • Using the secondary PC Controller to Remove Failed on the node, whether I use the PC Controller to ":heavy_check_mark: Is Failed" or not (results in 10:44:52.383 Remove Failed Node failed in 00:00:00.004)

At this point I believe the ghost node is impacting the reliability of the entire Z-Wave network and short of a radio reset I do not appear to have any recourse.

EDIT TO ADD:
I noted as well the Z-Wave Logs are full of this pair of log lines:

5C 2020-09-05 11:38:01.843 seqNo: 69, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 15ms, repeaters: [1c], speed: 100 kbs, rssi: [-100 dBm, -94 dBm, N/A, N/A, N/A], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0
5C 2020-09-05 11:38:01.536 seqNo: 69, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 14ms, repeaters: [1c], speed: 100 kbs

The seqNo appears to count up to approximately 255 and then resets at 0.

In my case, I'm using them to cut down on the number of hops. I don't have sizable gaps between devices, but I do have a good distance from the hub to the furthest devices. The 700 series radios in the RE7 have a much better range than the 500 series radios in my switches and dimmers. Helps quite a bit. As does the move from C5 to C7.

I noticed after running repair on 145, the routes in the Z-Wave Details page shows as blank. Is this expected?

The routes for display are updated on a every 30 minute schedule. They will return on the next scheduled run.

6 Likes

I have an item i cant remove, when i click "remove" nothing happens:

Since I'm curious to know if this duplicates my report above, can you confirm that you are seeing this with switches included in 2.2.3.145. Also have you tried using a secondary controller to remove the node?

I have the same exact issue as you, clicking "Remove" does nothing. In my environment I have 3 ghost nodes I've been unable to remove. Everything else with my Z-Wave network is fine as far as I can tell.

I'm on firmware version 2.2.3.145

I'm curious how to remove them as well.

Edit: I have also done a full shutdown of the hub and removed power for several minutes. Restart the hub and the ghosts are still haunting my hub!

1 Like

exact same, everything else is good here too and i'm on 2.2.3.145 as well

1 Like

Try rebooting and clearing as soon as it comes back up.

Still nothing

Happen to have any secondary usb controllers like the zooz or uzb7?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs/SLUSB001A?qs=u16ybLDytRbJsMfgk3EnSA%3D%3D

Do you happen to remember which devices failed during this time when you were pairing? Removing the device again will usually let you remove it.

I have zooz devices (this was a zooz device) but no usb controllers, no.

I have already re-added the device that failed and it joined fine the 2nd time, but i'll try removing it and re-adding it

The ghosts are going to persist if the devices that failed the inclusion are still on the network with a second inclusion that succedded. Removing the failed device will usually allow to to clear them out. Alternatively a secondary controller like a UZB-7 and PC Controller v5 software will let you delete them.

Try removing it and then reboot, then try cleaning up the failed pairs before trying to rejoin it. Also the latest hub software makes things go much smoother so try to upgrade it if you haven't already. I see the post that says you're on the latest but just making sure you haven't tried downgrading it yet.

@EAN you need to update

1 Like

I am on the latest

Rebooting after removing didnt help