Off-topic rant about security

My somewhat cheesy setup.

It puts it near the main network hub (Google Fiber :slight_smile: ) and my UPS.

I aim for function over beauty. And, since that room is my office/super overflow guest area--I figure i can get away with it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So since the .142 update and other than than the odd routing issue I reported I've been able to include a few more GE & Zooz switches/dimmers. The last one I got this a few moments ago..

My first snag... the button still says "stop z-wave inclusion" and it appeared that I had a ghost.. however I hit the "stop inclusion" and the device popped up!!! Yayyy for patience!

1 Like

Well @rob9 you aren't winning any design competitions here.. but I agree it should be functional.

2 Likes

Fair enuf, as long as it's working for ya. Spent many years dealing with installing wifi in heavy metal environments (auto plants) so I'm always on the cautious side when it comes to signal paths.

The discovery does actually continue past the timer.. If the connection is a little fringe it may take a bit longer to interrogate the device fully..

2 Likes

I work in a oil and gas refinery and deal with signal all the time with all the pipes going everywhere. We have a wide open floor plan so there's not much blocking any of the devices. On the other hand I know how to recognize issues and address them. I wouldn't recommend everyone go put theirs on top of their fridge, it just works for me and puts it in the middle of the house so I get good coverage everywhere.

2 Likes

Seen this a few times...wait patiently on the inclusion screen after the timer ends, and then the device pops in.

1 Like

Yes but the window did not pop up until I clicked on the "Stop Z-Wave Inclusion" - I did wait a long time as I am now used to the slight delay from device being found to the popup.

Is there a smaller version of that...it's a big box w/lots of outputs, and I really only need two outputs where I would put it. Everything else on the Talentcell box going to waste... Tagging @erktrek as well on this, as he also has one.

So you mean just the initial "discovered" w/out the device name didn't show up until you hit stop include? Haven't seen that...

It has a bunch of batteries inside it which take a up a bulk of the internals the connectors dont really matter much but are nice to have if you want to stick something else on there. There are all kinds of different devices from them though.

1 Like

Yep but it did work so all good.

1 Like

The Scotsman in me rages against the unused ports. As my grandfather used to say, "Waste not, want not. Are you going to eat that?" :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=TalentCell&ref=bl_dp_s_web_19543231011

1 Like

Ayup. I'm not winning any interior design awards.

3 Likes

Thanks, saw that, but it's apparantly either a ton of outputs, or just one. Oh well, I guess I'll go w/the same one you guys have. Grampa forgive me... :slight_smile:

You and @rob9 need to have an installation design competition. :smiley:

I'm leaning towards you winning, frankly, due to your helpful and communicative sign, and the dangling hub. FTW.

1 Like

So I seem to have hit a wall or something - having trouble including some Zooz switches that are a bit further away from the hub. I have a Z-Stick and have done the whole "exclude" bit (pressing and hold until blinking - then exlcude by toggle down 3 times etc). Also have shutdown hub, pulled power and rebooted. Tried with 3 different switches so far. I get nothing.

I am wondering if it is possible to include it on the Z-Strick then include the Z-stick on the hub as a secondary controller and then move the pairing over to the hub? Is that crazy talk?

These switches had been paired previously on a C5 but were removed/excluded. I am now going to try and pair some switches that were not included at all..

Did you exclude them from the Hubitat hub before trying to include them? On the hub you are trying to join them to?

I've found it necessary to move the hub "near" many things to get solid inclusions.