Off-topic rant about security

There isn’t any specific numbers that are the same for everyone.. It will vary widely based on the devices and wireless propagation properties of the home.

1 Like

I feel quite frustrated with this hardware release. It really feels like alpha release and not properly vetted. Maybe I'm alone in this sentiment but it's quite frustrating. For everyone saying this is the first c7 product and that things need to be ironed out I feel like this was rushed to be the "first to market" instead of something actually functional. I paid money for this, it should work at least as well as my prior C5 and bottom line is that it doesn't. Even zigbee has a harder time including compared to my c5. Just very frustrated with my overall experience thus far and I've wasted far more time than I would have liked up to this point. Going to put this thing back in its box until it can at least can function as well as my preexisting c5. Vent over, thank you.

I got it sorted today. I excluded the range extender. I shutdown the hub, removed power for 30s. Then I moved the range extender to a few feet of the hub. Powered up the hub and the range extender included with s2 without a problem!

Just sharing to benefit the community.

2 Likes

While there are undoubtedly some Z-Wave issues to work out, there were no Zigbee changes on the C-7 compared to the C-5, so any problems there are likely of different origin. Have you verified that your (I assume) two hubs use non-overlapping Zigbee channels and that both are good channels for your area, for example? I think Hubitat is supposed to guess what it thinks is best when the hub is first set up, but I'm not sure about the details of how that is implemented. This is just one possibility (again if you have two hubs, you'll need to consider how you can build a strong mesh on one while still keeping it that way on the other, for example).

You're not alone regarding Z-Wave, but I know they're working to get these issues resolved. Hopefully this will get better soon!

4 Likes

I think it is actually not too bad. I learned that S2 devices should be initially setup close to the hub. non-authenticated devices can be setup anywhere. I just setup 4 zwave devices right now and 4 zigbee without any problem. From my vantage point, as long as you follow the steps, it seems to work. Anything S2 needs to be done close to the hub, other than that there are no real gotchas here.

i have 26 devices on my hub. mostly zwave. i got a bunch of the lowes iris motion detectors which i really like, but other than that this is mostly just zwave. Seems stable, or at least for me over the past few days once i figured out the range extender.

This was required for some secure devices like locks and garage door openers in the past, but I don't think it's generally good advice. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. In particular, 700-series Z-Wave devices must support both S2 and network-wide inclusion, so they should pair fine wherever they are in the mesh via whatever method you choose; I believe these features are or at least were both optional (I know S2 later became mandatory) in 500-series devices but still widely implemented.

1 Like

For the most part you are correct @bertabcd1234 the exception being if there are devices in the path that do not support network wide inclusion. But it doesn’t hurt to join closely. The network will settle eventually.

2 Likes

I've not generally had much luck with door locks unless the hub is within a few feet. Sadly, only one is a newer generation one (and the driver isn't picking things up liked I'd expect with that one).

Door locks are usually a bit more trouble.. One of their security “features” used to be including at low power. Which is where a lot of the advice of pairing close to the hub came from.

2 Likes

When can we expect the zwave issues to be fixed :pensive:

What will be included in the 2.2.4 release :pensive:

Shortly.. We took the unusual step of putting a hotfix into beta. There were massive code changes and we want to be sure we aren’t introducing new problems.

13 Likes

You mean "...we want to be sure we're only introducing a few relatively insignificant new problems while we fix some really big ones."

At least, that's how my dev team always felt about it... :slight_smile:

Send me the beta, @bcopeland, I'll beat the crap out of it for you. :smiley:

If everything was done perfectly the first time, there'd be no need for new releases. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Exactly! You complete me. :wink:

1 Like

finally got most of my devices added ..not easy, and very frustation with reboots and failed joins and deletion of orphaned devices..My zwave table is now clean!

had to downrade to 2.2.2 and still froze a couple of times and has to restore a backup..when it froze i got the hub busy messages in the std log and no activity whatsoever in the zwave logs.. usually after a failed join, and most times an attempt at an s2 join.
I basically gave up on those as those wouldnt work unless next to the hub which is not doable for light switches.. I actually found an older xzwave plus swith and other devices like aeon repeater v 6 that dont join in s2 and greatly made things easier for me..

I think something in the database is getting corrupted .. Anyway after i restored a backup i was able to delete the offending node that failed to add in the zwave..

i have about 65 zwave devices, 96 total devices of about 6 are virtual switches..

i think i will get a 2nd hub as a sandbox to play trying new devices for joines etc, so as not to screw up what i now had great difficulty getting working.

At least until the hub recorvery complete with radios is avail.

1 more water sensor to join (waitng to get zwave plus ecolink from amazon) one outdoor light string then i will finish the port of my garden hue app.
also one more presence sensor to join when we next have the truck in town. and also waiting on a newer hue outdoor motion so i can get true local outdoor temps. time for a drink and a nap..
only thing left on my smartthings hub here are those devices above, and shared hue and kasa/tplink cloud switches, and a spruce sprinkler system.

Cant' wait to get home to our other house in nh that has over 200 devices.. (not)

I wrote a fairly significant application starting in 1998.

We rolled out the initial release in 1999-I think some folks wondered why it took so long.

We then worked on some of the known missing features and various tweaks until about 2006.

Zero code changes after that (despite some significant changes to how we used it, which we addressed with parameter changes and the built-in tables). And we kept using it until I believe sometime in 2013. There was one bug in the code that we never had to fix, because a parameter change took care of it. :slight_smile:

I'm still using some scripts that I initially wrote in or before 1985, with only some minor tweaks (mostly, to deal with changed platforms--moving from IBM VM/CMS to TSO on MVS to Windows).

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That's pretty cool...parameters can be your best friend.

Most interesting and impressive to me, it looks like you haven't really worked since 2006.

[bowing and backing away]
You are my hero.

1 Like

Ha! If only.

We migrated that to a different platform.

I was a System Programmer (IBM Mainframes) then wrote that app (our Centralized Password Administration System--so, yeah, not a minor thing!), then a Linux Systems Administrator (Enterprise Backups, Lotus Notes Email, Internal email gateway, and Security Plans).

Now, I'm a Cyber Security Compliance guy--but the Admin for a key tool we use for that purpose (I'd go nuts if all I did was security plans) I really do love coding & stuff (that might just be why I've had like 4+ all nighters and twice that many nights with <4 hours sleep (on work nights) since I started with the Hubitat about 3 weeks ago (migrating everything from ADT Pulse). :smiley:

1 Like

Dude. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. My first programming classes used punch cards. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes