Off the shelf support for tasmota

Hi,

I have a fairly uniform ecosystem of tasmota devices (with a couple of Hue as well) and thought I'd just buy a hubitat, put the bulbs into hue emulation and not have to mess with anything. I was wrong.

What I'm looking for is just off the shelf support for tasmotized white bulbs. I don't want to mess with drivers, which I also can't get working anyway, nor do I want to set up a separate MQTT server, and I'm just wondering if there's going to be off the shelf support within hubitat.

Yes, it's my bad that I figured it was compatible with everything. Is there any hope to have this just incorporated into a firmware upgrade for hubitat?

Thanks,
B.

I don't even know how to reply without sounding like a jack...

How is a commercial company going to even contemplate adding "support" for a community hacked firmware that can change/break/vanish at a moments notice?

2 Likes

Welcome to the communities. Likely not going to be included in the HE firmware so unless you are willing to update firmware etc, you might be out of luck. There are specialized firmware and drivers for some Tasmota devices as you have likely found and the folks here are very helpful in getting things up and working.

Tasmota has been around for years now. How could it support it? HE could incorporate a built in MQTT server. It could support Hue emulation. It could support simple http requests to it.

I just don't want to mess around and would like something that just works off the shelf.

1 Like

I agree with the MQTT (half-way) the MQTT client is in development and such. The server side is too much for the little hub to support what people will throw at it.

The idea of it could this and that and it could it could... it could be Home Assistant? Community developed, provided, work with anything, everything that someone develops for it.... and no support.... hope somebody responds, fixes something.

Then why are you messing with Tasmota?

Why tasmota? Because tuya-convert was easy, and I figured a standard infrastructure on my devices would be easiest to support. The point of avoiding HA in favor of HE was to avoid messing around. I was hoping for plug and play.

This is very true. Easier for you to support not others. Why not pick a supported standard then? Why not Z-Wave, ZigBee, Lutron, Insteon, something that vendors can and do actually support if that is what you're wanting? I'm thinking either preference to tinker like many of us or cost constraints.

Again I ask. If you don't want to "mess around" why did you go down the route of flashing devices to begin with? This whole idea/direction is counter-productive from the very beginning with an end goal of "plug and play and it just works"

If you want "just works" use standard devices with standard support not community hacks to devices with "hope" they will be supported by something. No commercial system/vendor will provide support for any community hack. Period.

Perhaps your question is more inline is there any community provided apps/drivers for HE that work with Tasmota devices? There's community provided drivers and community support but considering HE doesn't even provide support for large commercial products with published local api (LiFX) don't hold your breath on HE providing builtin support for Tasmota not even through MQTT as a lot of us have asked for proper/real MQTT support for a long time and that is still in it's infancy.

3 Likes

Why not. Should. Wouldn't. Why.

Moving on, it took me several hours to find the latest version of the code in this thread: [Release] Tasmota 7.x firmware with Hubitat support + Tuya and Sonoff drivers

Now, not being an HE expert at all, I was able to paste the code into git and it generates an "unexpected char in line 70" error. I notice that the number of tasmota devices supported is significant.

If this code was checked out, cleaned up for a newbie like myself, and incorporated into default HE that would make mine and many other's lives a lot easier and make me feel like my purchase was a good value.

@markus code in that forum is very good, you do need to make sure you reference the RAW links for his code which are located at the top of the thread OR in the expanded section of his github site here.

3 Likes

Everyone is certainly entitled to make feature requests but I have to disagree with the idea that not supporting a custom, hacked firmware for WiFi devices that were never really intended to play nicely with a multi-protocol home automation hub makes Hubitat anything other than a good value.

IMO, the platform is an outstanding value for a single <$100 hardware purchase.

3 Likes

I'm thinking the next line of questions are about a phone app right?

Okay, thank you j for the suggestion of the raw links. I'll try again later when I have more time.

And yes, not incorporating a major set of hundreds of products and tens of thousands of users via tasmota doesn't mean that it's not a good value for you, Mark, but it does mean that it wouldn't be a good value for me. My goal was to go entirely cloud free, and having a standard ecosystem that (I though incorrectly) would be a given for support given that tasmota has Belkin emulation, Hue emulation, MQTT, http, and everything else and that it is not cloud based was my goal. As well as not having to mess with it after flashing to multiple-standard supporting tasmota. This should be a no-brainer decision for HE.

2 Likes

Well, if they thought the effort to implement would be worth the new customers they would probably do it. That is what they did for iris devices when it went out of business, for instance.

I assume they dont believe they will get enough new customers to warrant the effort. Or think there are other areas to develop that are more worthwhile with the limited developer resources they have.

Clearly you disagree, which is ok. You could always try to submit an feature request email to support and see what they say.

Posting in here is hit or miss to get an official response from Hubitat.

1 Like

Another thing that Hubitat could use is a setup wizard. I actually started to miss Clippy for a moment. "Do you want to do only lights?" "Yes." "Okay, you'll need the following apps, mode, smartlight, and a dashboard. I'll install these automatically."

This would be something you could get excellent community support with, if you post in the right thread for help. @jchurch mentioned me here so I saw this, but otherwise I probably wouldn’t have.
Being one of the the developers (the original implementation was by @ericm) of both the customised Tasmota firmware and these drivers I’d have to say that this is very stable and made to be as easy as can be. You can import the drivers using the import feature of HE and the raw links provided in the post.
Tasmota is the tinkerers way to go, I have more than 30 devices running in my home with this. I also have a bunch of other things. But one thing is for sure, if I didn’t like playing around with these things, I would have bought something nicely commercially supported. For me HE is of outstanding value and I’ve had many hours of fun developing and tinkering!

EDIT: It sounds like you didn’t use on of the expanded drivers. All my drivers are automatically tested to import properly on HE before release. If you get the wrong files, which my code builder hasn’t processed, then yes, they wouldn’t load. My post explains, but could need someone to write better documentation...

1 Like