Odd Zigbee Behavior on the C-8

The route table is dynamic it does not represent a limitation.

16 is evidently max number of devices C-8 neighbor table is configured for (wouldn't limit more repeaters from joining, however. They just won't be tracked as neighbors).

Are you getting failures joining end devices, repeaters, or both?

If just failure to add end devices, may be running into lack of end device child slots in range of the device you're trying to add. Each router supports a fixed number, usually somewhere between 5 and a dozen, possibly more.

1 Like

I had around 70 Zigbees on the C7 I migrated. I split them out across 2x C8s and a C7 all Hub Meshed together. I don't know why I'm stuck at 51 now. 51 isn't any special number so I expect something is messed up on my end.

I can't join repeaters or plugs. I've been able to join the same devices to the other C8 with no issues.

I'll see if I have any Zigbee battery end devices on the shelf, or something I can steal from another hub.

Something else is going on other than child slot limitation, I don't think you'd get as far as getting an "initializing" message if no devices had child slots available.

I agree.

Interesting. I just paired a Hue motion sensor and it's working fine. A new Centralite outlet still fails like all the other plugs & repeaters.

if there were devices already paired there is/was an issue with some not being able to pair in place until you delete the actual device under device tabs and try to pair again. not sure this is your problem but worth a try.

Agreed. I cleaned up by factory resetting those I moved from the C8 to other hubs, and deleted their entries after being sure they weren't in use in any apps. The new plugs should work in any case. Odd.

Edit -I should add that during an unsuccessful pairing when it times out, it shows "still initializing, please wait..." before giving up entirely a few seconds later.

Edit 2 - Clicking "Start Zigbee Pairing" without any unpaired device in range that I know of still shows "Found a Zigbee device, initializing...". I just did a shutdown and pulled the power. In 30+ minutes let's see if that made a difference. Rebooting the radio from the Zigbee details page didn't help.

Shutting down and pulling the power for 30+ minutes got rid of trying to pair with a phantom device for the moment, but when I tried to pair with a router it's back to the same behavior as before. I'll have to ping support.

I've updated to 2.3.5.117 on all my hubs (two C8s, a C7, and a C5) and I'm still unable to add a Zigbee plug or repeater to C8 #1. C8 #2 only has a couple of devices and seems to be working well.

In order to see if the problem moves with the physical hub would it hurt anything to just swap them? Back up both C8s, shutdown both, swap locations, and boot & restore with the other hub's backup.

I can't think of any problems that would arise outside of possibly having to mess with the ethernet addresses.

It wouldn't hurt but it likely won't help either.

That won’t swap the Zigbee (or Z-Wave) devices paired to each hub; it only swaps the databases. However, if you restore each from a cloud backup of the other, I believe that would swap the device pairings.

Maybe try swapping the antennas. There have been reports of faulty antenna.

1 Like

OK, thanks all, I pinged support again. I guess I'll just start migrating all the devices that won't respond to another hub until this gets sorted.

I tried this method early on. Did a full migration from one C8 to another. Problems went right along with the migration. But I did not try manually migrating nonresponsive devices - when I did start doing that I moved them back to a C7 and they've been flawless.

1 Like

So it looks like my Zigbee table is normal now. They added that the V1 sensor pairing was an issue to last known issues thread, and said it was expected to be fixed in the next release, apparently that didn't happen. The release notes didn't say they did and they didn't.

I have all my Z-wave devices moved to the C8 and have the C7 Z-wave radio shutoff. Everything seems to be working well. Out of 76 devices 55 have paired directly with the hub. Of the remaining 21, 14 are only 1 hop away and the rest are 2.

I am ready to finish my Zigbee devices but I can't until they get the V1 stuff working. I only use a few V1 devices here in the house. Mostly using them as temperature sensors because they are really good for that. Batteries last a long time and they are pretty accurate. Obviously the V1 devices will still work because a have a few that were migrated over from the C5 and they are still working great, I just can't pair any from the C7.

1 Like

Good news. I purchased Hub Protect, did a cloud backup / full reset / restore on the hub that would not add additional ZB devices after a point, and now everything works.

Since my 2nd C8 was populated from scratch and worked from the start, I suspect the issue with the problem C8 had something to do with the migration from a C7. FWIW I received the 1st C8 the day after they were announced so I would have been one of the first retail customers to use the "one time use" migration tool. The full reset and restore was the only thing I've tried that worked.

In addition, 2.3.5.121 may have fixed the problem with ZB devices falling off for me. The Hue motion detectors, Sonoff buttons, and Sonoff humidity & temperature devices have all been connected for ~3 days now.

5 Likes

Idk. I seem to remember that was the exact behavior I got when I was first starting off and didn't know about the device limit. When I hit the limit the Hub would tell me it was initializing but never get past that stage. Once I got more Zigbee repeaters the error went away and the devices finished connecting.

1 Like

That was the weird part for my hub. I could add battery end devices but not repeaters.