Odd False Alarm with HSM

I was at the gym and I got an alarm notification from my bedroom motion sensor. The funny part is that that motion sensor is programmed to be used with HSM. It probably picked up the cat.

I disabled the alert and checked out the event a little closer. The event also noted that my laundry room door was opened at 11:47 am. It's possible the door wasn't shut all the way however per the door events it was not opened at that time. What's going on here?

Note That I left at 11:29am. and the alarm was triggered at 11:47am.

Not sure what you mean by "the event", as these are distinct events. The alert was triggered at 11:46:49. The Laundry Room event happened 30 seconds after the Bedroom Motion Sensor active event. Then, 29 seconds later, you disarmed HSM.

It would be helpful if you showed your HSM main page. The only way that sequence of log entries could happen would be from HSM seeing events from those devices. So the discrepancy is a mystery for sure.

How did you get the alert with your SMS number invalid?

1 Like

Hey @bravenel

My mistake, after taking another look I did have the bedroom motion sensor enabled for away. For the notification, I have push notifications enabled. I removed my phone number since it was in the wrong format and didn't work.

Still I can't seem to explain the laundry room door being opened if it was never opened per the logs.

Power failure? I once had an intrusion alert at home when I was in a training, fortunately I have everything in battery backups so I check everything remotely and I found nothing, but then I got the power failure notification.... the thing is a motion was triggered, nobody at home at the moment and I have cameras inside and outside my home so I'm pretty sure nobody was there. Why? Not sure, maybe the repeater the motion was using died in the power failure, the motion was a bosch zigbee.

I’ve had HSM up and running for the past 5 days (I’m new to Hubitat) and everything has worked great. Today I received a false intrusion alarm that appears to be triggered by a glass sensor. It never triggered a false alarm when connected to my old Iris platform. Any thoughts as to why it went off, or more importantly how to prevent future false alarms?

Thanks!

app:62019-02-21 09:55:22.093 pm warnAlert Intrusion Upstairs Glass Break Detector detected

Look at the Events on the Device page for the sensor. See if it sent out a "detected" event.

Yes, it did. No broken window though :slight_smile:

Loud noises can sometimes trigger glass break sensors. On my previous home where I had glass break sensors installed there were times when simply dropping something heavy into my sink would set it off.

Thanks Jeremy. There was no one home, so I’m not sure if a noise triggered it. I have had it a couple of years and it has never triggered before. If it goes off again maybe I’ll try replacing it, I wonder if they can go bad over time?

I see your battery is at 43%. Probably it's also a good idea to replace them.
I have a glass sensor in my garage and got triggered Everytime by a garbage truck. I moved it to a far wall from the back street and it solved my problem.

I'm not sure, they are pretty simple devices so it doesn't seem all that likely to me. Mine were brand new and they would still false alarm. Which kind do you have? There are "shock" sensors that go directly on the glass and there are sound based sensors that install on a ceiling near a window or group of windows. I had the audio based sensors that were mounted near groups of windows.

Either way: I think it's just the nature of a glass break. I probably had about half a dozen false alarms in the two years I lived in that house. Depending on which style you have they use sound or vibration to detect the breakage of glass. So any noise or vibration that seems similar enough to glass breaking will set it off. It didn't happen often, but if a car backfires or a garbage truck nearby slams something down or if you drop a beer bottle in the sink, those were examples of things that would set mine off.

In my previous home (the one that had the glass breaks) I really only had issues with the sensors in rooms with tile floors. IE: Mostly my kitchen. The way the sounds echo off the tile and especially if someone drops something on the tile. One time I dropped a metal cookie sheet on my tile floor and it set it off.

Luckily mine only false alarmed when someone was home but annoyingly the alarm system was set up in such a way that glass breakage always set off an instant alarm (No countdown to disarm) so it always involved getting a phone call from the monitoring company asking for a password.

It could even be that something hit the window and made enough noise or shook the window hard enough to set off the sensor but not hard enough to break the glass. In our new house we've got a couple windows that birds often hit. I've had a couple birds hit my windows so hard that they died on impact and that makes quite the noise. Especially if you have glass break sensors on upstairs windows. I personally chose not to put glass breaks on my upstairs windows because I figure if someone is going to try and break a window they aren't going to bring a ladder to do it, they're just going to go through a downstairs window instead.

If you've gone a couple years with no false alarms it was probably just a fluke occurrence like a bird hitting the window or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts happening more often. You could always use a motion sensor near those upstairs windows instead of glass break, or add a camera with a microphone so you could at least go back and figure out what set it off.

-Jeremy

Thanks for the input, the device is a “Utilitech Indoor Window Sensor”, that mounts on a wall or ceiling. I have two of them and they have never went off, so hopefully it was just a fluke. I’ll change the batteries and see if it happens again. It’s good to know it is more than likely the device and not a Hub issue. Thanks again.