Occupancy Sensing - not just Motion

I looking for Occupancy Sensing solution, Motion Sensor does not register motion when I am sitting at my desk.

Lutron's "occupancy" sensors (Radio Powr Savr) are basically motion but are sensitive enough to catch my working at my desk. However, you need a RA2 system to integrate them into Hubitat. Other than that, you have a few options. You could add more motion sensors to catch you at your desk, you could increase the timeout so it's less of a problem, or you could use an app like Rooms Manager (and I think bptworld has a new one with a similar concept) to try to guess occupancy based on motion sensor activity.

1 Like

I have a similar situation and I looked at a lot of different methods. I decided to build/code my own solution by using a video camera and some image processing software. It looks promising but its a lot of work, infrastructure and not for everyone and not for prime time. An group of sensors can work fairly well.

1 Like

I just recently put 2 motion sensors in my office for this same scenario. One is pointed toward the entrance that triggers the lights to come on, then another is sitting at my desk to pick up slight movements to keep the lights on. I used the Motion Lighting app with the main office sensor that turns the lights on and the desk sensor as the additional sensor which keeps the lights on. More details in this post:

1 Like

The Zone Motion Controllers app provided by Hubitat is very useful when using multiple motion sensors for the same room.

1 Like

Consider a button to disable off. Then have that “disable off” function cancel after a set time period, a a set time period with no motion or manually.

Another option might be a microwave motion sensor instead of a PIR version. Bosch makes one, but I have heard it’s a bit of a pain to pair. Not positive it will solve the issue because the use IR for the initial activation so they are less likely to be set off by non-living objects moving like curtains from a fan or something like that.

Going to try it out on my garage. Thanks, I forgot about this app.