Occupancy of a sleeping person

Thought I'd ask. Anyone figure out how to do an occupancy if someone is asleep?

Use case:

Wife woke up at 3:30am and came into the den. Hubitat detected occupancy based on motion detector. I have the Motion routine to aggregate multiple detectors with a 10 minute period. Any repetitive motion, resets the 10 minute period. My occupancy 'virtual switch' turns on if the motion switch to stay on for 11 minutes, and then turns off once the 10 minute motion switch expires for 30 minutes. (That process excludes someone just "walking through the room", but once on -- handles keeping occupancy on during a bathroom break, etc )

Now, based on occupancy -- we set the temperature of the den to 68 degrees -- gas logs come on and warm up the room.

Issue was -- she fell asleep in the recliner. No motion. After 30 minutes, occupancy expired -- and the Gas logs went back down to 60. She woke up cold an hour later.

WAF factor -- "I was in the den, why did it get cold".. Duh, she was asleep -- no motion. Nice technical answer. Not a good WAF answer.

Any ideas on detecting a "person" while asleep? Eg, there's a 98.6 body in the room. NFC from her cell phone?

There are some millimeter wave occupancy detectors that do not rely on motion. They need to be line powered and they are brand new to the market so not sure about availability, drivers, etc., but they might fit the bill,

2 Likes

One of the new mm wave sensors maybe? They detect continued presence rather than just motion. There's a long thread on here regarding them, I'm sure someone will link.....

Edit: @brad5 types faster than me lol

3 Likes

It's the coffee.

3 Likes

I’d try using the Aqara FP1 - a millimeter-wave radar sensor that integrates motion, space, distance, and direction detection. People can move or be still, can be left or right, can be far or near, and still be detected by this sensor. This is ideal for rooms, where people may be present but not moving enough to trigger traditional PIRs.

I was able to buy one from AliExpress since I don’ think they’re available outside of China currently. @kkossev has created a driver for it that works (once you’re able to successfully pair the device in HE, which takes a few attempts).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.