Occasional enema required?

So I’m sort of experiencing occasional noncooperation from my HE8. I started to think about why. When it works which is 99.9% of the time, it’s super responsive, but I’ve noted on a few occasions when I open my garage door (battery contact), the bell Aeotec) doesn’t ring and the garagelights don’t turn on (Jasco switch). A few minutes/hours later, it works great. Is there a need to purge things or reboot the hub to avoid this?

Occasional reboots can help, should not be needed very often though.

Could be a mesh issue if you sensor is z-wave, possibly the message never gets to the hub. You would have to check the event logs for the device.

There is also a rare issue where a few people have noticed the z-wave totally stalls for a few seconds right at the :00 and :30 of every hour. So check the time when it happens next.

2 Likes

You could just do a z-wave action at :00 and :30. I have one switch turn on another in a powder room, so that is what I did. It was convenient.

Thanks for that. I’ll take note next time and report back. Like I said it’s very rare, but it does happen and seems to self correct. I dud note that the LED on the door sensor stays solid which indicates no ACK from the hub from my knowledge. I close and open the door when it happens and still a solid LED. Normally, it’s a very fast blink. I wonder if this is associated with my door open bell doing multiple dings sometimes.

For me, if I flipped the switch a few times, nothing would happen for what, 15 seconds?, and then it would "catch up" and the lights would blink a few time.

I’ll note the time and reference the logs next time. Is it a good idea to purge the logs occasionally? Is there a self-cleanup that occurs?

The logs roll automatically. The only advantage of doing a logs purge is if you rename a bunch of devices or apps it will clear out all the stale names from the top of the past logs page. Otherwise there is nothing gained by purging the logs.

Thanks for the clarification.

one issue I've bumped into has been timing of instructions. depending on the way the code is written there can be timing delays in devices that cause grief. the existence of metering suggests and supports the hypothesis - I have a wierdness for example for two monitors at my desk. If I issue an 'Alexa - turn on the monitors' (a group) only one comes on. Sometimes. Once I enabled metering and set a delay, in this case of 15, it works 100%. Drove me buggy for months! I set metering now on all groups just as a standard. I also have an all lights group - same thing happens there. If I issue a HE turn off all lights - I get 60% go off but some remain. Once I put a value of 75 into metering, it went away. darndest thing.