nVidia Shield/Android TV

Hi Guys,

I’m not a developer but wondering if there is anyone out there interested in porting this integration from HomeAssistant? There would be a lot cool automations that could be created, such as dimming lights when pressing play.

1 Like

Home assistant can leverage at the OS level. This is one downfall when using Hubitat to build apps or drivers.

However, something could be put together using a adb rest server such as the following.

I’d be willing to do this, but we are primarily an Apple house and have no android devices.

1 Like

Eventually the Chromecast Beta app might be enough. Google has been making changes to the way chromecast works on android tv (I just got the option to add the shield back into speaker groups today!!) This all may work by the time Google releases their new android TV/ Chromecast device.
From the little testing I did It looks like you can get the status (idle,play,pause,buffering) when you are casting to the shield, and from certain apps like youtube.
Unfortunately at this time it doesn't update the status for Prime Video, Youtube TV, and Kodi.

Prime Video App on the shield:
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 7.46.46 PM

When casting Youtube TV from my phone.
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 7.49.22 PM

I experimented with this myself, but to your point it only seems to update the status when you cast from your phone. Still hoping that this improves and can tell when something is playing locally. The media source is updating, just not the status.

1 Like

Is there any method to know if the shield (chromecast) is playing media from the box and not pushed from a chromecast device?

1 Like

I found this thread while searching for Nvidia Shield integrations.
Not to derail the original question, but at a more basic level, is there a way to turn the Shield ON and OFF using Hubitat?
Google Assistant recognizes the device and can turn it on/off, but not sure how to do it with Hubitat.

Thanks

1 Like

Looking for the same. Want to add on/off to my automations

1 Like

Not sure if this is possible as I am an Alexa guy, but you might be able to make a virtual switch that you expose to GH and then create a simple rule in GH that turns the shield on and off according to that switch. Then use the virtual switch in HE as you please.

Obviously this method does not really scale to any more complex method of control other than power control.

1 Like

I'll give that a shot.
Thanks!

I use my harmony hub integration with hubitat to control on/off functions but would like to see the ability to have Shield send info to hubitat so for instance when I hit pause the lights come on and then turn off again when I hit play.

Another thread I just started yesterday..

Chromecast integration playback status - Built-In Apps and Drivers / Built-in Apps - Hubitat

same here .
any update on that ? did someone found a good way to turn on/off using HE?

update: i am able to turn on/off via google home but i can't create any routine that trigger by hubitat switch only by voice or time :man_facepalming:.

any idea on how to trigger google home to turn on/off nvidia shield using hubitat?

i would be interested in this too.. showly replacing all my roku's with shields.. due to the stupid roku wifie interference issue.

My hope from this integration has always been to have Hubitat know when you press play and pause/stop on media to allow lights to be auto-dimmed/raised. I was able to do this in the past with KODI. Likely if this can be done it would be the same integration for Chromecast w/Google TV and/or any other Android TV.

I have been just getting started with Hubitat and using Alexa. I have found some posts and the developer code that allows you to have a hubitat switch which is exposed to Alexa as a contact sensor which Alexa let's you trigger routines off these contact sensors.
I used the Nvidia shield Alexa skill to link the 2. Now from my automation I trigger the virtual switch which opens the contact sensor to Alexa and it runs "Alexa turn off living room TV" which shuts down the Shield and using HDMI CEC this triggers my sound bar and TV to turn off. While it's not local it is nice to hit a pico remote button and shut the entire first floor off (lutron caseta switches) along with the TV and shield.

Hopefully some one has created a similar virtual switch for Google Home that can trigger routines in this manner.

Last I checked (and it’s been a while), Google Home “routines” cannot be triggered via a smart home device like a switch or a contact sensor. They can only be triggered via a voice command or a specified time. (And possibly geo location??? Not sure about that one. )

That's a shame. I never got into a smart assistant system until someone bought me an Alexa show so I decided to give it a go. Maybe it's worth getting a cheap echo dot to interact for the power on and off.

Not sure it'll be able to do any other advance rules as I'm not sure it'll report status up to Alexa to trigger any sensors to feed back to HE.

Would Kodi still be sufficient for what you want to do, or do you need a more general integration that would also work with other apps on your Android TV?

Not any more. It worked well in the past when I was using just KODI but these days I’m using it less and less and relying on the Android TV apps (Netflix, Prime, etc). Really the only thing I would need for perfect integration is for an accurate play/pause status in Hubitat.

That makes sense, and I figured that's where you were coming from. I have some Kodi functionality that I wrote into a driver, but the full Android TV is another thing all together. I hope you find something that works.