Nutone NWT00Z ZWave Wall Transmitter

Hi Team,

I bought a set of these that I thought would act as Switches (They look like wall switches but carry no load) or Scene controllers. They are supposed to respond to Single Tap for on/off and long press for Dimming.

I've tried Zwave Switch, Zwave Smart Switch, and Central Scene controller drivers. I can Toggle the wall LED on/off by sending digital on/off requests. It does nothing, and logs nothing, when I press the up or down paddle.

Any hints? I'll try button controller next I think.

Here's what the codes say..

• deviceType: 21591
  • inClusters: 0x87,0x25,0x26,0x27,0x85,0x70,0x86,0x72
  • outClusters: 0x20,0x26
  • deviceId: 12339
  • manufacturer: 335

Cheers!

The manual has some details that I don't know how to implement but maybe someone knows if they match a different generic device?

CONFIGURATION
The NWT00Z supports the Configuration command. The NWT00Z simulates the operation
of a dimmer. Using configuration commands you can adjust the dimming parameters as
though it were a dimmer. The NWT00Z can be configured to operate slightly differently than
how it works when you first install it.
Using the configuration command you can change the following:
Set Ignore Start Level Bit When Transmitting Dim Commands
The NWT00Z can send Dim commands to Z-Wave enabled dimmers. The Dim command has
a start level embedded in it. A dimmer receiving this command will start dimming from that
start level if this bit is set to 0. If the bit is set to 1, the dimmer will ignore the start level and
instead start dimming from its current level. To change this option, set this parameter.
• Parameter No: 1 • Length: 1 Byte • Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 1)
✓ NOTE: Many Z-Wave enabled dimmers have the configuration option to ignore the
start level no matter how you configure the NWT00Z
Night Light
The LED on the NWT00Z will by default, turn ON when the status of the devices in Group 1
is ON. To make the LED turn ON when the status of Group 1 is OFF set this parameter to a
value of 1.
• Parameter No: 3 • Length: 1 Byte • Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 0)
Invert Switch
To change the top of the transmitter to OFF and the bottom of the transmitter to ON, set this
parameter to 1.
• Parameter No: 4 • Length: 1 Byte • Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 0)
Ignore Start Level When Receiving Dim Commands
The NWT00Z can send Dim commands to Z-Wave enabled dimmers. The Dim command
has a start level embedded in it. A dimmer receiving this command will start dimming from
that start level. However, the command can be sent so that the dimmer ignores the start level
and instead start dimming from its current level. By default, the NWT00Z sends the command
so that the dimmer will start dimming from its current dim level rather then the start level
embedded in the command. To change this option, set this parameter to 0.
• Parameter No: 5 • Length: 1 Byte • Valid Values = 0 or 1 (default 1)
✓ NOTE: This only affects a level that is reported or possibly sent by the NWT00Z since
the NWT00Z does not control a load.
Resetting to Defaults
Each Configuration Parameter can be set to its default setting by setting the default bit in
the Configuration Set command. See your controller’s instructions on how to do this (and if
it supports it).
All Configuration commands will be reset to their default state when the NWT00Z is excluded
from the Z-Wave network by using the controller to reset the node.

source was https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/mediabase/specifications/nutone/1143802/nutone-nwt00z-installation-15.pdf

You can try the Generic Z-wave dimmer driver. But if you make a change on the device, hit refresh after you do.

I believe that this won't work with Hubitat as it is intended to control another z-wave dimmer directly through an association group. Z-wave allows devices to be "grouped" together so that commands from one to the other don't rely on the hub. So, you would have to associate this with another z-wave dimmer to get it to work correctly I am guessing.

Well, I can turn the LED on and off from the HE at least. :slight_smile:

Hopefully Amazon will take them back.

Try the generic z-wave dimmer and see what it shows up as. Just hit configure after you change the driver.

I tried that, and switch, and smart switch, and smart dimmer.

It responds to on/off requests but the status doesn't update, and it's not sending anything to the HE (that get's logged at least) so the HE has nothing to respond too. Watching youtube videos now to confirm how it get's set up in Nutone-land

Yeah...that's what i was afraid of. Sorry.

Actually, no, it says any Z-Wave Hub and App. Doesn't reference anything required for grouping, so it's got to be a driver we can pull from somewhere. That's past my knowledge though.

It's a shame too, because they're pretty inexpensive and a better fit for my plans than a load carrying switch.

No, you need a z-wave controller to set the associations from one switch to another. You can't do that natively from the device, it requires a controller to establish that association. It's a z-wave parameter that gets set in the device. In hubitat that's done with the Basic Z-wave tool driver.

If it was a standard dimmer device, it wouldn't have a limit of 5 devices that it could control. That would be a function of the controller, not the device.

so is there a way I can associate it with a Virtual Switch :slight_smile:

I just wanted something that could trigger on/off and look like a switch to the uninformed.

There's a driver called "Linked Switch" and "Linked Dimmer" with an "AddParent" button. Maybe for a variation on this problem?

No, its "z-wave association" where one device talks directly to the other. Here's an article explaining what I'm talking about.

You can pair it with another z-wave switch. That's all. Sorry to disappoint but it won't work.

1 Like

Came across this forum as I have several of these switches as well. They work fine for on/off with hubitat using the Generic Z-wave Dimmer driver - both physical and digital. I have to be deliberate about tapping quickly on the physical switch, though - otherwise the switch considers it a "dimmer" action and the hubitat gets nothing, as mentioned above. I'll keep playing with it and will report back if I figure out a way to get events from the dimmer actions

I'm posting this here in case, others who just migrated to hubitat run into
an old zwave device that needs associating to another, but the "Associate Z-wave Devices" tool didn't work.
in Vera associating was easy, it would be easy in hubitat if information was easily found. my device was a Linear WT00Z-1. It used to control Linear WS15Z-1. The switch WST15Z-1 works as expected it was recognized as "Generic Z-Wave Switch". My WT00Z-1 didn't even get assigned a device Type. my device WT00Z-1 has identical Code values posted by the originator of this topic.

• deviceType: 21591
  • outClusters: 0x20,0x26
  • deviceId: 12339
  • inClusters: 0x87,0x25,0x26,0x27,0x85,0x70,0x86,0x72
  • manufacturer: 335

I assigned manually "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" Type, made it as close to device type as the device I'm associating it with, just a guess.

Thanks to this link

it basically described how to put together a hex zwave command to associate WT00Z-1 aka NWT00Z to another Z-wave device with actual load.

Breakdown of Zwave command being put together

Command Class: 85
Set command: 01
Association Group: 01 (of the source device, I chose group 1/what I did in Vera)
Device Network ID: 2B (of the device to be controlled, for my WST15Z-1)

For you 2B would be some other Value, device network ID appears to be Hex already no need to convert it from decimal to hex, once you get this device network id you can then

Go to Devices-> Device Name for WT00Z-1->Click Advanced
in Send ZWave Command> enter below
but remember to replace 2B with your Device Network ID

8501012B

Click Send Command

after that, WT00Z-1 could control WST15Z-1 without the controller, from the link I read. You don't need a minimote to do the associating.

Hopefully this will save someone alot of time.

I am new to Hubitat and have limited technical ability versus most forum members. I had a Vera 3 which stopped working. I am trying to switch to HE, but having difficulty replicating my Associations and are losing all of them as I exclude and include devices. I have many NuTone NWT00Z and Evolve LSM-15 three way switches in my house. They are designed to control specific Evolve LRM-AS dimmers. I have successfully included the LRM-AS dimmers as generic z-wave devices and created a dashboard and I can properly control them. I have also included the LSM-15 as a central scene dimmer. That seems to be working at a basic level as I can see the switch turning on and off with the dashboard. However, I need to be able to physically control the LRM-AS dimmers from the LSM-15/NuTone NTW00Z (I have both). I don't understand how to do the association or where to even start from the forums I have read. It was so easy in Vera UI. The support desk suggested the mirror app which I did get to work, but only when turning on the light from the dashboard. I really need the physical switch to send a signal from the NuTone or LSM-15 to the LRM-AS of my choosing. Can anyone help (and simply since I am really struggling to keep up with the forums)? Thanks so much. Honestly wondering if I am over my head and should try to find a Vera Plus to try and recreate what I had.

Use the built in mirroring app. That should work for you. And you are using the dimmer driver not generic z-wave switch correct? Also make sure you are using the dimmer template on the dashboard.

There are 2 LRM-AS set as Generic Z-Wave Dimmers. The NWT00Z is set as a Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer. In the Mirror App, the Primary device is the NWT00Z and the LRM-AS are both replica devices. All three are set to dimmer template on the dashboard. If I turn on/off/dim the NWT00Z from the dashboard, it works as desired and the LRM-AS both respond. However, if I press the actual physical NWT00Z on the wall, there is no response from either LRM-AS. Am I doing something incorrect? Thanks again.