Now that Iris plugs are difficult to find

What outlets are we using to expand the zigbee mesh these days?

From what I read:
Peanuts have issues (something about too many hops)
Osrams have issues (something about A and B models)
Tradfri are weak
Smartthings are too expensive

What does that leave? Centralite?

I'm hoping for something under $20 with zero reliability and mesh issues. Does anything fit the bill?

Thanks!

1 Like

I've heard horror stories about Peanut Plugs, but many people also seem to use them without problem. I believe the Osram issues you refer to are really just in the context of users with Xiaomi devices, where the "original" model is known to work well for those devices while the newer "-A" model may cause them to fall off the network (a quirk unique to the not-quite-standard Xiaomi devices, which you can ignore if you have none).

For Ikea Trådfri: the outlets do indeed seem to weak in my (and many others') experience, but that's not necessarily bad. My devices just don't appear to choose them as repeaters as often as other devices, but some still do, and it would work to extend both the range and capacity of your mesh if needed. But I don't really like them because they're bulky and a bit ugly to me eyes. However, the Trådfri USB repeater works well for me in terms of attracting more devices, and it's pretty small (about the size of a Kindle charger if that's a useful reference) and easy to power (it's just USB). But of course, if you want a smart plug too, you won't get one out of that.

I do like the SmartThings outlets, even though they are/were expensive. But a bigger problem now might be finding them: they seem to be out of stock in most (all?) places. If you can find them, I'm a fan. Nothing on my network is a more attractive repeater except my Xbee, which is another option if you wanted to explore that route (but there is a DIY aspect to this). I should note that I checked my routes again right before I wrote this, and the Trådfri repeater seems to be attracting a lot of devices, too--and I actually see fewer on the ST plug, though I did just (barely) move it a couple days ago, so my routes may still be in flux.

I no longer have any of the Centralite outlets, but that manufacturer has a good reputation, so I'd probably trust them. (I did have the old square Centralite outlet, sold as a SmartThings otulet, whose Zigbee portion is probably identical to the famous square Iris v2 plugs--also not a bad idea if you can find one since they have a built in Z-Wave repeater too, but it must be paired separately, and some people have problems with those, likely dependent on firmware versions, which you can no longer update with Iris being long gone.)

If I had to risk it on something new, I'd be curious to try either the Hue smart outlet (small, appealing form factor--though the smaller, rectangular CentraLite also is) or the Innr outlet (a 2-pack is currently selling for $35, so not a bad price). But I don't like recommending things I've never tried. :slight_smile:

Some time back I bought several Iris SPG800 Zigbee V1 plug in outlets. I use a bunch of these and they are 100% reliable, join without problems and report status if manually operated. Also report watts being consumed. If they are a problem to your mesh it isn't the case within mine. They readily join Hubitat. I also use a few of the Iris 3210-L ( Centralite ) Zwave modules which are on Ebay from time to time.

I also have a few of the Centralite plugs and they seem to work well, no issues to report.

4 Likes

Are there any smart plugs that offer both the ZigBee and Z-Wave radios, similar to the Iris v2 plugs? I like the idea of a single device being able to enhance and sustain both meshes.

+1 on the Centralite. I've got one acting as a repeater for a couple of sleepy battery sensors in the garage, and it's been working perfectly.

2 Likes

I have heard Innr is good as well but don't have any experience with the product.

1 Like

I was looking at those too. It looks like they are Zigbee 3.0 certified:

Has anyone tried them?

Looks like the innr plugs are priced the same as centralite minis, BUT:

They haven't been tested much
Must be purchased in packs of two
Only support 10a

Seems the choice is clear unless you need the sightly smaller form factor of the innr plugs.

Centralite it is! Thanks for clearing things up, everyone.

Yep, I've been buying those Centralite plugs and they work great. I also just bought the Enbrighten outdoor Zigbee switch for Christmas lights and it works great with Hubitat (though it is a tad expensive).

2 Likes

Yup - Centralites support 15a.

I'm not sure what you plan on putting on the outlet, but 10 A is enough for most loads, and if you plan on putting something "heavy" on it like washing machine or dehumidifier or even just a small fan, you'll want to verify that the plug is rated for inductive loads, like motors. Many are not, even if the expected operating current is within the specs. For example, the Innr plug is only rated for resistive loads [EDIT: but the Amazon listing shows one connected to a fan, which is a bit confusing...].

This information is hard to find for lots of of products, but the 3-series (square) CentraLite was marketed as an "appliance module," so it would probably be fine (if within the specs), and the 4-series (rectangular one, maybe the one you're looking at?) specifically calls out a motor rating (1/2 HP), so you should be good either way ... so pretty much what you were already decided on, but just thought it was worth mentioning. :smiley:

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Philips-SmartThings-Google-Required/dp/B07SQGG8Z7/

I have 2 of these and they work fine as repeaters. The one thing they don't do is report power usage. I also bought some cheap zigbee outlets off ebay that work fine as well but don't repeat. They're only $5 bucks each.

Been using these for close to a year with no issues. I'm mostly Z-Wave but when I changed my Kwikset locks to Zigbee I needed repeaters and got a couple of these. They must be working well in that role because after the change my locks work perfect.

I’ve recently added some of these and they’re rock solid. My only complaint is no power monitoring. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I'm getting one of those today

2 Likes

I use these. They work great.

1 Like

I think you'll like it - relatively compact, you can fit two on an outlet if you needed to, and they have been very reliable for me.

It was easy to pair and the size is great.

1 Like

There are people there saying they can't get theirs to work with Hubitat. Did you have any problems pairing? Trying to replace my peanuts.