Notifications With Multiple HE Hubs

This is my setup. I use a Notification Tile on the dashboard of the "main" hub and I share it through hub mesh to other hubs so notifications from all hubs are being displayed on my main dashboard.
I'll take this opportunity to thank @ thebearmay for yet another great development of his that I am using with great pleasure.

2 Likes

That's a good point, I was focused on notifications arriving on my phone or tablet, but having them appear in different dashboards is also another consideration. Thanks @amithalp.

I've been thinking on this topic since I added a second hub at Christmas... I started by sharing the mobile app device via hub mesh - which works 99% of the time for my use cases. I recently decided to add Pushover to my setup - each hub then calls the Pushover server which sends the notification to my phone - doesn't matter which hub is selected in the Hubitat app.

In the end, I figured that a mobile app notification has to go through a cloud server, then to my phone - what does it matter if that cloud is Hubitat or Pushover?

1 Like

What I’ve done is add my mobile to each new hub and set it as a notification device - this gives the mobile a direct push from each hub. In addition I have a Notification Tile on my main hub and share it with Hub Mesh to each hub and set it as an additional notification device. I played around with a Notification Switch for a bit (switch turns based on the notification containing a phrase) and a device driver that pushes notifications to NodeRed for some edge cases for a bit too.

1 Like

But does this setup allow you to have notifications from hub x appear in the mobile device and then notifications from hub y also appear on the mobile device, even if the mobile device is logged into hub x in the HE mobile app?

Not trying to be pushy (pardon the pun), just wanting to understand what is possible....

I seem to get pushes from all hubs regardless of which one I last logged into from the mobile app. I’m running Hub Monitor on my development hub which sends me pushes when one of my limit settings is reached/exceeded on either hub or when a new update is available, and have HPM on all hubs notifiying of updates; the main hub handles most of the rest of the notifications (intrusion alerts, etc.)

Hmmm.. If I have an RM rule on hub X to send a notification to my mobile, I only receive the notification if I am logged into hub X on my mobile, and if I am logged into hub Y a similar experience, I get notifications from hub Y, but not any notifications from hub X. Perhaps I need to do some more testing....

Android or iOS? (I’m using the iOS app.)

Android.

And I should probably clarify that by receiving notifications that I have configured them to send to devices that represent the mobile device on that hub... If that makes sense...

Exactly the way I have it set up (minus the droid :sunglasses:).

Guess you could try sharing the mobile device across the mesh to see if that makes a difference.

Hmmm... It's either a misunderstanding (by me) or a difference in behaviour. Perhaps I need to play with it some more over the weekend....

That's what I was thinking..... I am hoping when I log into the mobile app I can select this device... Even when shared via Hub Mesh....

Might ping @bobbyD or @moncho1138 to see what they believe the expected behavior should be.

1 Like

Thanks @thebearmay.

Would ultimately be interested in HE's take, but happy to give you guys a few days grace while I play around with my setup and report back. That said, any suggestions are also welcome, but no pressure....

1 Like

I'm on Android as well - same experience, I
If the main app device is selected, I only get notifications from hub A via the Hubitat app when hub A is selected.

In my (limited) experience, the shared device is not selectable except on its home hub

2 Likes

Pushover shows which hub the notification is coming from...

1 Like

My personal inclination is towards Tasker and use of personal VPN I have setup using Wireguard, but that would rely on me connecting to the VPN consistently.... and my approach working...

If I could make any sort of request, it would be some way of managing this more easily, if I can't get it to work :slight_smile: Getting a little ahead of myself here, but feels like it has not been included as an option....? Was going to say the registration of a mobile device should be shared across Hubs, but can appreciate the complexities that may introduce. Equally, identifying one device as being the same as an existing device can also be problematic based on the method used to connect (different MAC address). All those concessions made, happy to put the challenge to Hubitat staff to solve this problem.... :slight_smile:

The only difference I'm seeing is if I look at the Notification tab in the mobile app - then I'm only seeing the notifications from the last logged in hub, but still receive the push popups from both.

I still see notifications in the notifications tab when logged into the appropriate hub, even if they arrived some time ago when not logged onto the same hub, but I don't see "real-time" notifications from hubs as notifications on the android phone when logged into a different HE hub.

I set this up earlier today and was able to see the mobile devices from other hubs in the selection screen when logging into a hub on the mobile app.

For now I have left them duplicated and select the device "local" to the hub, but I may rationalise these down at some point.

I also made use of @bertabcd1234 's notification proxy app. Not strictly required to deliver what I was after in this thread, but a nice addition nonetheless. This allows for mobile devices to be grouped together and referenced using one virtual device in apps where notifications are being sent. Nice work @bertabcd1234!!

1 Like

Thought I would put this out there again.... I'll admit I haven't spent enough time to setup my notifications well to make best use of the proxy app I linked previously, and as a result I still miss some notifications. I feel like it would nice to see this as a feature within HE, or at least an understanding of the suggested setup of devices to more easily receive notifications consistently, without needing to remember what hub you recently logged into.

So this is part feature request, part request for help.... whatever makes the most sense with the current capabilities, some I may not be aware of.

If I can make a pitch for how I would like to see it work... in a perfect world it would be nice to have the system just know that the same mobile device on different hubs are actually the same and send notifications to them regardless of the hub they are connected to.... but I'm willing to offer an alternative of having a section in Hub Mesh where "administrators" can configure that association between mobile devices being shared between hubs, i.e. associating my phone on HE hub X with the same mobile phone on HE hub Y. So if a notification was sent to my mobile on hub X, but it was connected to hub Y, the notification was sent to Hub Y which in turn delivered it to my mobile. I expect this would require synchronising where a device is connected to, in a similar way that other device attributes are synchronised. The delivery of a notification could then be sent / synchronised across each hub, the hub the mobile device is connected to could act on the call to send a notification and deliver it to the device if connected to the hub.